The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have loved ever circle y saddle I’ve sat in. I’m in need of a good barrel saddle but with out the constricting feel of some with deep pocket like seats I’ve seen a lot of newer saddles have... if that made since, and if not here is one I found C3 Barrel Racer | Jeff Smiths Custom Western Saddles

Also what do you think about there 3-Way adjustable rigging?

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I have loved ever circle y saddle I’ve sat in. I’m in need of a good barrel saddle but with out the constricting feel of some with deep pocket like seats I’ve seen a lot of newer saddles have... if that made since, and if not here is one I found C3 Barrel Racer | Jeff Smiths Custom Western Saddles

Also what do you think about there 3-Way adjustable rigging?
I've never ridden in that particular Martha Josey saddle. By happenstance, I ride in Circle Y barrel saddles as well. I have an older Smith Brother's Circle Y saddle that has served me well. Deep seat and really comfortable. Doesn't currently fit any of my horses so it's sitting at my parent's place. I have a wide Flex2 Lisa Lockhart for Red and a regular for Shotgun (his is the "Badlands" after Lisa left Circle Y). I tried a Kelly Kaminski two years ago for a horse but her tree did NOT fit the same as Lisa's, and it didn't fit my other horse.

So ultimately, the saddle needs to fit your horse. And it needs to fit you. The 3 way rigging can be useful but the tree still needs to be a reasonable fit.

Between the Circle Y and the Jeff Smith, you'll pay more for the Jeff Smith but it will be a little better quality. I've never had a Jeff Smith but it's a well-liked saddle in the barrel world.

What do you mean "constricting deep pockets"? Both the saddles you posted appear pretty deep.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never ridden in that particular Martha Josey saddle. By happenstance, I ride in Circle Y barrel saddles as well. I have an older Smith Brother's Circle Y saddle that has served me well. Deep seat and really comfortable. Doesn't currently fit any of my horses so it's sitting at my parent's place. I have a wide Flex2 Lisa Lockhart for Red and a regular for Shotgun (his is the "Badlands" after Lisa left Circle Y). I tried a Kelly Kaminski two years ago for a horse but her tree did NOT fit the same as Lisa's, and it didn't fit my other horse.

So ultimately, the saddle needs to fit your horse. And it needs to fit you. The 3 way rigging can be useful but the tree still needs to be a reasonable fit.

Between the Circle Y and the Jeff Smith, you'll pay more for the Jeff Smith but it will be a little better quality. I've never had a Jeff Smith but it's a well-liked saddle in the barrel world.

What do you mean "constricting deep pockets"? Both the saddles you posted appear pretty deep.
I figured that statement wouldn’t make since sorry I mean the type of seat that kind of wraps around you if that make since I don’t just barrel race so that type of seat would be counter productive for me. I also realize the second saddle isn’t a good representation of what I’m trying to explain. I wish I could afford a Jeff Smith but as of right know the circle y is almost out of my price range

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My current barrel saddle is not a Circle Y but I like my older Circle Ys, I have two. I prefer a non-constrictive seat when I barrel race because I like to be able to "use my body" should I need it. I've seen some newer barrel saddles where the pommel almost wraps around your thighs and to me that is too restrictive. Does that make sense?

Here is the seat style I prefer(minus the rough out on the finders), a bit of depth without being restrictive, and this is a Circle Y. Maybe try finding an older style saddle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My current barrel saddle is not a Circle Y but I like my older Circle Ys, I have two. I prefer a non-constrictive seat when I barrel race because I like to be able to "use my body" should I need it. I've seen some newer barrel saddles where the pommel almost wraps around your thighs and to me that is too restrictive. Does that make sense?

Here is the seat style I prefer(minus the rough out on the finders), a bit of depth without being restrictive, and this is a Circle Y. Maybe try finding an older style saddle.

View attachment 1109586
I will look glad I’m not the only one how hates being restricted in the newer saddles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts