The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Fee. I'm new here and was just wondering on your opinions of Berty.

Last year a family friend loaned him while my mom loaned another horse although, I was the person that spent the most time with him, bonded with him, and rode him. I completely fell in love with him and was heartbroken when she could no longer afford him and an unknowledgable friend of mine began to loan him. Well, a year a later she has bought her own and I can ride him again.

Berty is a 17hh Cleveland Bay and when we first started loan him he was difficult to say the least. He would not come in from the field, would not walk through water, would not let anyone touch his feet, wouldn't be groomed on one side, was impossible to tack up, wouldn't leave the yard once there, and then was less than responsive while riding.

We slowly built him up so that he would follow us in the field without a headcollar, would walk through the river with one of us, let us wash his hooves and touch his legs, stopped squishing us while grooming, trusted us to put a hackamore on, would leave the yard and even go on hacks down the lane.

Now I'm able to ride again he's back at square one but with new bad habits. He bites, is more than impossible to tack up and uses his size against us much more often. He is genuinely scared of coming in from the field and being ridden as the girl who loaned him "solved" all these problems with the whip and a loud voice.

I know this is a long winded question but, I just wanted to know if you think I have a chance to eliminate at least some of these issues, and even get him back into shape? The only problem is, I can only really get up to the yard once a week until the days get longer.

The picture is an old one, and he is probably larger than this now.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Get a picture with his head up, with you standing at his girth line, and take a photo. We'll be able to help you then. That picture is hardly critique-able.

·
Registered
879 Posts
On the training issue, you're going to struggle. He sounds like he needs really intensive one on one work not once a week. If you can't manage more than once a week then I think you're not going to be able to do much with him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm aware the picture isn't the greatest. It's the best quality side on picture I have. I may be able to get more tomorrow. This was possibly asked in the wrong section as well as it was less confirmation I was worried about but, that's because I have no idea how to work this.

And yes, I suppose I already knew that. I've already almost given in so many times. I'm just hoping when he remembers it's me and I don't want to do any harm he'll come round slightly more. I'm thinking of concentrating on raised poles and jumps as he seems to really enjoy them.

Thank you both.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
If you had him going well (er, better, tolerable) before, you could likely do it again, however, you will have to make sure that no one else works with him unless you have first seen and approved of their methods. Once a week will do it, but it takes time, lots of it. And, by the sounds of it, a firm hand. Don't let him get away with ANYTHING. Start with small steps and don't put yourself in danger. When the days get longer if you can get to him every day, even just for a 15 minute visit it will do wonders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.