The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new guy Ty, hes a 3 year old paint gelding. I was going to use him for jumping once he's a bit older. can you tell me what you think of his comfirmation?
I put in one of his movement just for fun :) Sorry if these aren't good photos!
Horse Bridle Mammal Halter Vertebrate

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Mare

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Stallion

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Stallion

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm gonna test out my conformation skills on your paint, don't take my answer to seriously, I've only just started this stuff. Okay here goes:
-sickle hocked
-booty high
-I think his neck ties in low
-steep shoulder? steep croup?
-steep&short pasterns in the hind
Again, this is my first try, listen to the experts:) He is an adorable little thing:)

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Going by the 2nd photo alone, where he is standing the best, he appears to be to have a nice shoulder and sufficient depth through the girth
Neck ties in low and is long
Shorter cannons, but nothing seriously off about his front legs
Back is ok
Bumhigh at this point but may even out yet
I like his bum. Very quarter-horsey
He does, however, appear to be quite sickle-hocked in the hind legs, which i know is not a desirable trait in jumpers. Let him develope some more and see how he does, though. Many horses with sickled-hocks can jump, it just may lead to soundness issues later on in life.

·
Registered
49,774 Posts
I see good balance, nice long neck, ties in correctly, IMO. low set hocks, could be slightly sickle hocked. A bit downhill. Seems to have decent bone. There's a lot to like about him and he's only going to get better.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
Here is what I see. First he has a low set to his point of shoulder. This means his humerus lays a bit flat and this will limit his front end action both in forward reach AND in ability to pick his knees up especially over fences. He will probably be able to the get them even.. but he will probably hang his cannons a bit and not fold in front. He is build clearly down hill, so he will have difficulty collecting in front of a fence. His hind leg construction is off. I drew a better hind leg.. he is sickle hocked and has insufficient angle at his stifle. The leg I drew is a bit more correct but too straight thru the hock (my drawing with a mouse is not so hot).

His front leg is tied in at the knee AND back at the knee AND light boned. His feet are small.

His withers are ok but I wish they carried further into his back. He has a nice neck tho a little higher tie in at the chest would be better. His hind quarters are well sized. His topline is adequate. I cannot tell if he is straight in front with boots on.

For jumping I would be concerned about the weak front legs and small feet. I don't know what height you are looking at. Low levels he may be OK (2'6" max)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
BTW I like how he looks in work. Nicely ridden for his age. Forward and looks to be ridden back to front. I do not like his hackamore bridle arrangement but he is working nicely.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your opinions! i am a low level jumper who really only does 2'6" and below!

Would someone mind telling me what sickle hocked is?

When my vet looked at him he said he had some of the nicest conformation he'd ever seen, and i know he's butt high but these were all taken right before a major front end growth spurt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.