The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Sorry this is the only picture I have currently of this horse. I am hoping to go look at him in the next week. Please let me know what you think of him and his conformation.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I like him. He looks very sturdy and decently put together. His croup is a bit steep, and I can't really get a clear view of his shoulder(bad contacts, can't see well). I don't see anything glaring on his legs, although maybe a bit sickle hocked. He has decent bone, a little tied in below the knee on his fronts and a little finer boned in the front. His head is fairly plain, but far from ugly. He has high withers, and a decent neck, if a little bit ewe necked(can be fixed with proper conditioning), and ties in a little low for my tastes but not horribly so. Overall I really like him, he looks like a good using horse. His faults are really all nitpicky. I certainly wouldn't turn him away from my barn, and his color just adds to it. I'm a sucker for a red chestnut with four high whites and a big wide blaze.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the critique! This is a picture of another horse this ranch has to offer, bred out of the same sire. Your opinion and comparisons?
omparisions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If they both ride the way you like and it comes down to looks/conformation; I'd go with horse 2... imo this horse is put together a little nicer (but everyone likes a horse put together in their own way!)

It really depeneds on your plans for the horse :D but they are both decent.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Very nice horses. Are they located in Utah by any chance? The first horse looks familiar. I like the blaze face and four socks but I would go for the better broke horse.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I agree- both nice looking horses, though I do like the second a bit better. What do you want to use him for, and how much of a project do you want? If you aren't looking to do a lot of training, I agree with Kevin- go with whoever is more broke. Both are lovely though.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I personally like the 2nd one's conformation better. Love his thick shoulder and I assume when squared up properly in the back his rump would show the same. Which of the 2 has more training? And what are your plans with them?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Agreed with everything above. If they both ride well and it came down solely to looks I like horse number two better. However if horse #1 has a better personality and is nicer suited for your needs I surely wouldn't get the second just because of looks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm sorry, but both of these horses are horrid. They look like they were jigsaw puzzled together from multiple animals. At least with the first one the animals were similarly bad. The second one looks like it's head and neck came from outerspace.

That being said, if they are sound and ride well, that is what matters. I just cant honestly sit here and say that these horses look good at all. I would be lying.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm sorry, but both of these horses are horrid. They look like they were jigsaw puzzled together from multiple animals. At least with the first one the animals were similarly bad. The second one looks like it's head and neck came from outerspace.

That being said, if they are sound and ride well, that is what matters. I just cant honestly sit here and say that these horses look good at all. I would be lying.
:shock:

·
Registered
5,455 Posts

I bet you don't know nearly what you think you do. While I'm sure they won't win the world as halter horses, horrid doesn't describe them. I can't see a thing wrong with the second horses head and neck and if they did indeed come from outerspace I will volunteer to explore that planet.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts

Perhaps you could explain your stance a bit more, i.e. what you see that is so wrong about these horses? Unfortunately, for me anyways, "looks like it's head and neck came from outerspace." doesn't help me understand what you are seeing that is so wrong. "Neck tied in too low, and a roman nose" (for example) would be much more helpful.

Personally, I like both of these horses. I do agree with other posters that the second horse is a tad better put-together than the first, but for some reason the first one is drawing me in.
The only major thing I see about the second is his long front pasterns - I'm wondering how much wear and tear he might withstand. He is perhaps the tiniest bit behind at the knee as well, which is increasing the look of the pasterns. He has a lovely shoulder, and once that neck is muscled up, he'll look quite nice.
The first horse does need some muscling, and his neck isn't terribly defined away from his chest, in that photo anyways. I really like his wither tie-in, but that's coming from a dressage background - to me, he'll be quite easy to balance up because of a further set back point of gravity. There might be something with his front legs... let me come back to the photo later and see if I can pick it out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bet you don't know nearly what you think you do. While I'm sure they won't win the world as halter horses, horrid doesn't describe them. I can't see a thing wrong with the second horses head and neck and if they did indeed come from outerspace I will volunteer to explore that planet.
^ I agree ^

Plus age factors in a lot too, yearlings to 4 year olds can look so awkward and silly during some growth spurts. :?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok, I'll break down what I personally don't care for about them. Perhaps I phrased that a bit harshly but considering the way horses are priced these days, you can get pretty nice stock for cheap and I see no reason not to, unless a person just happens to like a horses personality enough to forgo a better build. As long as you don't breed it, it doesn't matter, I know this. ^_^ And to note Kevinshorses, I don't care for the stock horse halter trend... ;)

But any way, Here goes, based off of only one pic each:

Horse 1: Wouldn't surprise me if he had hollow withers. Looks like he could have
a weak topline overall.
Maybe he is standing funny but...Camped out behind, camped under in front...or he his standing off of his heels for some reason. Maybe could use a better farrier.
Rather coarse in general.
Shoulder is quite a bit straighter than I like.

Too many little things adding up to ME not thinking much of the first horse. Like I wouldn't pay money for him, unless he were decently broke, And he had a great personality, And I only wanted a trail pet, And they were asking very little for him.

Horse 2: He just struck me funny at first glance. His neck and head don't really match his body. Separately they are fine, but put together, he looks unbalanced. Work might build his neck up enough, but his head would still look small to me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for everyones postings. I really appreciate everyones opinions and insights.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I think both of them are fairly well balanced. The first one appears to be a bit more aged, am I correct? That may also explain some of the weakness in topline and hip. With exercises that would build the topline, and get him driving from behind, that could change some. He may be slightly sickle hocked, but without him actually squared up properly it's hard to tell; it also looks like he was ready to move out of place, so that doesn't help his leg structure appearance any. He IS more upright in the pastern than I prefer, but as opposed to the second horse, I prefer that, than too long. It actually looks like he needs more heel off of his feet; so the pasterns could be slightly improved if that's the case. His shoulder is a little steep, but I don't think he is hollow there. I've actually only heard of that in goats\sheep where they actually have two shoulder blades that meet over the topline, and occasionally you get one who has space between the shoulderblades, and thus 'open space', because their spine sits alot lower than their shoulder blades. That's not possible in a horse, because of the way he's conformed structurally. Anyway, so no...definitely not 'horrid', by a long shot...this horse will stand up for many years yet; will he win top ribbons in the showring, at top level competition? Maybe not, but is he very useable, and very suitable even for open competition, absolutely.

The second horse, as mentioned, is even better conformed for the most part, than the first, but his photo isn't at a straight on shot either, so there could be things we aren't seeing. I do not see anything glaringly horrid about this horse either; he has a soft expression, decent legs, more refined head, etc...He has longer sloping pasterns than the other horse though, which may limit his usability; however, his toes also look really long, as well, and that is never good for long pasterned horses!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
To the OP: did you buy either of these horses? I have met the man that owns them and he seems like a pretty stand up kind of guy. I hosted a Ray Hunt clinic last year and he and Ray were on a first name basis and Ray ask him to help lay a horse down for a guy at the clinic. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.