The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for a trail horse for awhile. I ride with my neighbor occasionally, so this has to be a horse that will go out alone and allow me to have a relaxing ride (I can go out and *not* relax on my other horse lol).

Breed doesn't matter. Size, i'm not picky. I looked at a 16.3 hand TB that was a little too big for my 5'1 self, and it has to be a horse, not a pony!

I have had no luck. I'm not in a huge hurry, as i have to sell my filly before i have room, but i have somebody who really wants her that is coming to look at her/possibly pick her up in 2 weeks.

What do you think about this guy? I really enjoyed watching him work in the videos. Which are old, so he may not even be available. I have emailed and asked if he's still for sale. In the mean time, pick him apart.

Keep in mind while i will only be doing trail riding, I want a well rounded horse. I take in too many loony and/or chronically lame kiddo's already.

Jet
Yay or neigh folks?

*If anyone wants to help me look, i live in Pierpont, Ohio 44082 is the zip. 150 mile radius is probably stretching it, but doable. Preferences: Western, Gelding, Trail Safe. Budget is low-ish, $1,000. $1,500-$2,000 is stretching it until i know i can find another decent job. Silly economy! But it's doable, potentially. Age isn't a huge factor, but i do long rides a few times a year - 15 to 20 miles for charity, so this horse has to be able to handle that.
Here's a pic for those who don't wanna click to an external site:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
One thing I noticed in the first video of him trotting in the grass is that it appears he has weak pasterns in his front legs especially. They seem to spring down much too far when he puts his foot down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
He looks to be very willing on the trails, but I would be a ittle concerned about his legs. Even in the pictures, his legs look pretty light. Depending on how strenuous your trail rides are, it could cause problems. Definitely worth taking a look if it's not too far a drive and have him vet checked if you are serious about buying !

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I still haven't heard back about him. You guys made some valid points, i had noticed something a little strange in his stride, but i couldn't pinpoint what so thank you. I was a little suspicious to begin with because he seems like an awful nice horse to not have sold in that many months.

I never knew it could be so hard to find a trail horse! I just want a trail horse. Gosh! :lol: I don't do extremely strenuous rides, i live in a rather flat area (northeast ohio) so there's not a lot of hills or rocks, it's just that i do a lot of long rides for Charity. Last year the longest was 25 miles and i borrowed a horse, he was 23 and he did just fine. Sometimes these rides are in the summer, sometimes they're in the fall, so it can be hot or rather cold. I don't want a really old horse, or an extremely small one... which leads me to my next candidate.

So, in the meantime until i find out if Jet is available, I am speaking to a lady about another one. He's only 13.1 hands which i'm a little iffy about (and is the only thing making me hesitate because he is a cute horse!!), but she said he is super level headed and calm on trails, he's just a little too much for her son. He has started barrel racing. He looks super cute, maybe some kind of Welsh cross (she hasn't told me the breed, it just says "Pony"). The pics aren't the best for critique, but could you try? This horse is also nearly two hours away, but he's only $500! Which makes the longer trip much less detrimental to my wallet. He is 9 as well.

Winchester:

Attachments

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
2nd one is extremely cute. But 13'1... That's very small IMO (although you posted you are not very tall either, I judge from my 5'9" :lol: ). What makes me little nervous is "too much for my son". Very often it means it's a fire-breathing dragon (or something very spooky or unreliable).

Such a pity you are not in MD! I see trail horses on local forum all the time. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, i am only 5'1 on a good day. Seriously, sometimes i top out at 5 foot. LOL!

I asked her what she means by too much and she said he gets hot in the ring at shows. They've tried to start him on barrels but he's not built for it. She said her son can ride him on trails just fine. He is a beginner and he's been riding him for two years, but when it comes to barrel racing he's too much. I'm not really sure what that means! I don't mind a hot horse, i kinda like it. I would rather have one that's hot than one i have to beat into a forward moving walk/trot! Fire breathing dragons on the other hand, i can do without...

I'm trying to visualize 13.1 and ME on a 13.1 hh horse. Hmm...

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Yes, i am only 5'1 on a good day. Seriously, sometimes i top out at 5 foot. LOL!
As a matter of fact if you measure yourself in morning and in evening the height will be different. :wink:

My qh was 13'1 when I got her as a yearling and she was TINY. However some horses are build to carry heavier rider even being small (pasofino comes to my mind). So with you being ~5' it may be pretty decent height for him still. If you decide to go with him, try to take him ALONE on trail before you make a final decision AND try WTC in a ring with other horses preferably to see if he goes hot and HOW hot it is. Hot horse is fun as long as you can stop it. If you can't - it's not fun anymore. :D

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, I'm 5'6" and my trail horse is 14.3 (on a good day) and I am completely comfortable on him. I guess you being 5 or 6" shorter and the horse being 5 or 6 " shorter is all relative ???
I do like the way the second horse is built for trail riding. He looks sturdy and has much more solid legs than the first horse. The big plus about a shorter horse is that you aren't constantly ducking under the branches. My other horse is 16h and I hate taking him on the trail for that reason alone.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You make a good point, i never thought of branches! More points for Winchester. I am still looking as well. Not rushing anything!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The first horse does nothing for me. I didn't see anything about him that I liked, other than the fact that he looks like a good, quiet trail horse. I don't like his conformation at all.

The second one is a lot better looking. I like his face and chunky body. I think he's worth going to look at. If he's not the one, just take your time and find one that's really special. No reason to hurry. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With all the stuff going on, i haven't had a chance to go look at any horses. Nothing has stuck out to me. Somebody pointed me to this mare, hitting me right on my weak spot - Appy's. Everyone close to me knows that while i'm not trying to replace my late Tia, I haven't had a trail "get on and go" horse since she became unrideable and we had to say goodbye. Now is not the ideal time, considering everything that's happening with the rescue horses and what not, but something is telling me to snatch this horse up. She looks like she's exactly what i'm looking for. The owners are downsizing due to the economy, and want her in a good home, asking $500 OBO.

It just so happens by coincidence, the girl interested in my Haffie Filly sent me a deposit for her and will be picking her up next friday. Coincidence!?

She's a 14 year old Appaloosa mare.

The pics do nothing for me, but the vid did. However, something looked off to me at the trot when they first start trotting away from the camera in the part of the video shot the arena, but i'm not sure? I would like to look at her...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqRbmqKr5eo

Attachments

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I LOVE the pony. Freakin adorable, looks like it could go all day. If I was in America and had $500 i would definately snap it up.

I'm 5.7" and not skinny, and i'm breaking latte in who is 13.3h. I've ridden horses down to 13h for MG and they were fine. My main horse for 8 yeras with some hard riding was 14.1h. Ponies are powerhouses - Plus they are easier to get on!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have nothing against ponies! My little mare i'm breaking topped out at like 13 hands last time i measured her!

Like my trainer used to say, they make great little horses, plus it's less of fall if you lose your seat!

The *only* reason i haven't gone to look at him yet is he is over 2 hours away and i just haven't had the time. He is really cute, but this mare i just found i'm really gravitating towards now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Oh man Winchester is SO cite! What a price, too. You should go look at him.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's the link to the mare, my linky failed to embed, so for people who don't wanna leave this site...

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I won't critique her as I can't see youtube at work, and I generally can't see past spots, lol. But go with your gut :]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just looked at the mare while I was in her area. She is a steal at that price! Super nice mare, very responsive,could use some work on her trot, but I got her to settle into a nice jog with just a few tweaks. I really like her, the owner really liked me, and everyone there said we look great together.

What sold me was that we showed up when they were feeding. Took her away from her food, and I rode her in the outdoor and then took her down the trail. She didn't even cock an ear to the barn where her food was waiting!

She seemed to cock her ears back with the girl who tacked her up like she didn't like her, she was fine with me. Only thing I deducted points for.

She wasn't lame at all. They had another person coming later who called before me and has first dibs. I hope they don't want her. Maybe I tired her out so they won't like her lol

Now we wait! She's a steal. And not funky looking at all for an appy!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Sounds like you really liked her. I hope you'll be lucky to get her then!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope so too! He really liked me, offered me board for the month of May at half price so i could get some hours in on her. My mom was with me and adored the guy, she wants to go back to take some lessons. My mom hasn't been on a horse in like 5 years!!! If my mom was single i'd think she really liked him! lol

I'm very excited, but trying not to get too ahead of myself - in my opinion anyone would be crazy to not buy her. He seemed to really want me to buy her, almost like he thinks i'd be a better fit than the other person (said she's a past riding student there). So we'll see... i'm trying not to bite my nails down to nothing. I realllllly liked her, she has a canter from heaven!

Send me lots of big you-will-get-the-horse vibes. I technically don't even have $500 on me right now, but mom was smitten with her and said she'd help me out, even if i wanted to try to board her.

Totally OT but he had a reiner for sale that is to DIE for!! I certainly don't have $9,000 tho. :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.