The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was thinking that we should all describe our horses and then what tack we use for them.

I think It would be really interesting to find out what works for different horse breeds ages and personalaties.

I'll start

Angel bay brumby mare top of the pecking order Qh sizing,
meadiem in softness of the mouth.
14.2hh 17yo Very fast bolter really handful

I use an eggbut french snaffle
A stockmen's breastplate
And an Ammo swinging fender syinthetic whooooooops lol

Crystal Paint Arab Qh ASH mare 15.2hh 8yo sweet but a really handful I ride her on a loose rein at all times. She's very spooky freaks at everything.

And dumb very dumb
With Her I use a bigger ammo
an stockman's breastplate
And a dutch gag this bit works well on her because it's like the western bit u don't use then much and I'm really soft I barely even use it.

I have another two horses two geldings both don't have saddles at the moment because we can't find any that fit them very well Question any good saddles that will fit a drafthorse and an other to fit a small pony???

post away I can't wait to see the results

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on plz

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
Puck 7 Year old OTTB
Second in charge only to his big alpha Appaloosa paddock buddy
Sweet as pie, not a mean bone in his body
He's a low level eventer, trail riding horse, all around good guy

Regular bridle, no flash
French Link Bit
Bates Close Contact Saddle
Thinline pad over sheepskin saddle pad

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you does the french link work well on him my girls love em

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Lone Pine Josh - Bundy
7yo 15.2 ASH Gelding
Boss in the paddock, generally very lazy and cranky, but will do anything I ask of him.

I ride him in a barcoo bridle, brass loose ring lozenge snaffle, and switch between leather reins, rope campdraft split reins and clip on cotton one piece reins.
Saddle is a custom made Peter Nelson stock saddle, and a handmade Peter Nelson breastplate.

Jupiter Ballita - Latte
5yo 13.3 Arab Mare
Bundy's girlfriend - A true tart and bosses the other boys around.

Bridle is a bit mismatched, lol! A wintec headpeice/cheekpieces, leather with diamontes browband, old leather noseband, and alternate between a few different pairs of reins. Bit is a loose ring Myler level 1 comfort snaffle.

Saddle is a Wintec 500 ap, and a cheapo Dublin breastplate.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Tomahawk
10+/-yrs Mustang/feral mix
Sweet, crabby, lazy, fiery, independent, smart, somewhat people shy, horsey rebellion instigator.

Ridden in:
Saddle: handmade by family friend(dont like to give his name...) Strong has lasted forever.
Bridle and bit: Custom made(by me) Indian hackamore and bridle. One piece red nylon weaver gaming rein.
Pad: off brand felt, amazing quality for an off brand.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Abbi's Advantage - Abbi

11 year old, pretty palomino, breed unknown at the moment, QH type.

Sweet and loving mostly, but can go from one day being completely nice, lovely and willing, to cranky, irritated and 'i can't be bothered to do this put me back in the paddock' type. But she's good in the way that once you tack her up on her 'moody' days and get on she's like 'oh ok, i'll do it'

Tack used:

Wintec 500, Borrowing a friends Barco bridle at the moment as i've lost my own, but other wise use a black English bridle, brass loose ring lozenge snaffle, leather reins, but usually cotton clip on reins.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Pads:

Bundy has two RM Williams woolen pads. One is burgundy with white and yellow border, and the other is white with yellow and burgundy overcheck.

Latte has an aqua roma ariflow pad, and I sue a thinline or sheepskin under the saddle for now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey

Isabella (Promise Me This)
16 yr old SH mare, bay, showjumper + dressage.
does what I want MOST of the time, but hates other riders for some reason. I didn't ride her for three days and she refused to listen to my bf.
can be high spirited. bosses the pony, but is underneath the arab and QH SH mix.

Ridden in
Wintec Saddle (I'm too cheap for a Bates ='[ )
Black leather bridle with noseband taken out and with thin purple sporting reins (cos it never occured to me to get real leather ones)

Cardy (Bacardi Breezer)
22 yr old fleabitten grey arab. Sporting pony.
bosses around Isabella and pony, but still under QH SH mix (who, might I add, is mental!)
Great pony, gives his all, once went on a trail ride and became lame at the end, but farrier said that he's been hiding the lameness for a long time.

Ridden in
Brown handmade Northern River stock saddle.
beaded bridle with gold fittings (my arab always gets the pretty things)

Note: My horses are ridden in Dutch gags with two reins attached. This is used instead of a double bridle. I don't like the thought of my horses having more metal in their mouths than is necessary and when I attach two reins to the top rings and two reins to the bottom rings, I can get the snaffle action of the bradoon as well as the leverage of the curb when it's needed, but with far less metal and discomfort. I'm also VERY soft and only ever use the leverage occasionally. Unorthodox, but it works.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Saddle pad:

What ever one I feel like on the day ;)

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Vida
11yo RMH mare, color black
used for trail riding
Very quick likes to be out away from the pack in the pasture and on the trail. Not a friendly lovey horse, very independent.
Not an everyones horse. not a beginner horse.

Bit- Myler MB02 mouth with a HBT shank
Custom leather halter/bridle combo in black
Saddle- Don West Spanish light without a horn Color black
Pad- I switch between an Old Mac and a Clinton Anderson PRS
Breast collar- Zilco red and black
occasionally a Zilco crupper in red and black

·
Registered
22 Posts
Highball :D 17.2hh bay OTTB. 12 years old.
Lovely boy. Training him to be a low level eventer, but he's a lovely boy who likes cuddles and chocolate. His currently jumping around 80-95cm consistently.

Bit: hollow mouth eggbut snaffle
Normal black bridle for normal/everyday riding.
Normal brown bridle to match his SJ saddle.
Saddle: synthetic Status Benefit
Saddle: handmade English leather jumping saddle
Pad: normal front raiser. Possibly a Wintec?

Trying to find a 5 point breastplate, but have a breastplate/martingale that I still need to fit to him. He's awesome; doesnt care what gear you put on him =]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine is pretty boring...
Harley, 8 yr OTTB
He is king of the other two horses. Very quiet, can do anything with him on the ground.
French link snaffle
Regular bridle
All purpose status saddle(yes I know they are cheap but it does its job)

Richie, 9 year old Arab/Belgian
He is very smart, has all these tricks he tries when being ridden. A little head shy, but still working on that. (Previous owners used to belt him). Has a very soft mouth.
Same tack as harley. (I have two of each, I don't use the same on both)
Also have a stock saddle (don't know the brand) that my dad rides him in.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I forgot to do mine properly.
Crystal
Ammo swinging fender
Saddle pad the old western one my grandfather gave me
Bridle Hand made stock bridle
reins normal english reins when useing the dutch gag I use it with two rein too I thought I was weird too haha.
Slobber straps and soft cotton reins
Also my hand made sporting reins.
Breast plate customised by me bought from saddle world stockman breast plate.Also a plane bar bit ,in eggbut french link, eggbut two peice bit in sweet iron.

Angel the same but without the dutch gag I use a french link on her.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Annie:
17 year old Paint mare
Barrel Horse/Trail Horse
Beginner safe but does get cranked up at shows, boss in the herd of four.
Ridden in: lime green nylon bridle/breastcollar with a copper mouth Tom Thumb bit, short barrel reins for shows and spilt leather reins for home. My saddle is an Ozark Saddlery barrel saddle with a lime green ostrich print seat and accents. Pad is a lime green Tacky Too.

Chopper(On The Rocks Please)
4 year old Appaloosa gelding
Currently in training for barrels
Ridden in: Riata Leather bridle/breastcollar in light oil with rhinestone stars, bit is an offset dee ring snaffle with sweet iron mouth. His bit will be adjusted as I see fit, so far he doesn't need anything else. I use orange and black barrel reins at all times. My saddle is an old ugly turquoise cordura saddle. It is incredibly comfortable and fits him like a glove(and only cost $100), so I use it. My pad is an orange Charmayne James SMx Air Ride pad.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your tack sounds really colourful lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Cutter-BJ HoneyCut

12-18 year old QH. Ex Stud

Ex-Training level eventing horse, then lesson horse, then BN eventer, now mainly dressage with some smaller jumping. (2-2'6'')

I dont know his true age, he was bought at aucton and then passed around, and now nobody knows his true age or past (before age 8ish)

Very very aggressive, so needs to be kept alone in the pasture.

i ride him in:
-a oval mouth loose ring snaffle bit for pretty much everything, except cross country jumping, which i use a slow twist full cheek snaffle. and i only show 2-4 times a year.
-Dover Circuit close contact saddle
-hard over front all purpose boots and neoprene galloping boots for the back legs.
-regular bridle, (no flash)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.