The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the what do you feed thread lets go one step further what do you feed, how much of it a day and what does that cost you??

Mine get Kent's http://www.kentequine.com/getdoc/70883956-0c09-434c-960f-2a595fa638ec/7678-pdf.aspx a ration balancer

I have three that get 1lb a day and one that gets 1 1/2 lbs a day

Each bag cost me $23.45 after taxes

so for 3 it is 47 cents a day
and for the other it is 70 cents a day

this does not include hay LOL

but just for giggles
A 1500 lb round cost me $40 and last about 10 days so $4 a day for hay for 4 horses :)

To get the price per lb just divide the price per bag by 50
to get the price per day multiply the price per pound by the number of pounds fed :)

OR divide the cost of the bag by the number of days it last

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I don't feed any hard feed. ;) I do feed a complete feed which supplements my aged appy's diet of grass in summer and hay in winter. They all get a bit of it as well as some alfalfa pellets or cubes and often I feed beet pulp. All of my horses are easy keepers except for the Appy and that's cuz he's 29 and losing his teeth. Full pasture is a great thing, imo..

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appyt said:
I don't feed any hard feed. ;) I do feed a complete feed which supplements my aged appy's diet of grass in summer and hay in winter. They all get a bit of it as well as some alfalfa pellets or cubes and often I feed beet pulp. All of my horses are easy keepers except for the Appy and that's cuz he's 29 and losing his teeth. Full pasture is a great thing, imo..
hard feed is anythign besides hay ;) and includes supplements

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Around here hard feed would be grain products.. Supplements are supplements. :) A complete feed, which would be a fiber rich feed is not a hard feed.. That's how I have always understood it. :)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appyt said:
Oops, and I have no idea how much it costs me a day.. I don't keep those records. lol
My hubby makes me LOL he actually sat down and figured all our horse's expenses for the year talk about scarey :shock: :evil:

Reactions: Arabian Beauty

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ah well my hubby makes me pay for my own horse expenses now. I still don't keep track of it. lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Funny thing is ever since I recieved my newest addition I began keeping record of EVERYTHING I got in reference to her. Anything from feed to a new brush to fly spray. It was more out of curiosity for me. I wanted to see how much I spent on her a year. It shall be interesting.

As far as the feed goes I'll have to work on that... getting some numbers 4 you.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Packer pellets - 50 lbs. bag is about $8.00 go through maybe just under two bags a month.

·
Super Moderator
26,558 Posts
Cripple Creek - per month (not including de-wormer, mare magic, pro-bios, and sandclear)

1 round bale of hay per month (hand fed - I keep it in the barn and peel daily portions twice per day) $50 per month

Pistol and Black
2 bags equine senior per week ($16 per bag) $128 per month
1 bale compressed alfalfa per 2 week (1 flake each morning each) $16 per bale - $32 per month
Total for Black and Pistol per month - $160

Blue, Beauty, Riley, and Style
approximately 6 bags 12% sweet feed per month ($10 per bag)
Total for Blue, Beauty, Riley, and Style per month - $60

in all... around $270 for feed and then maybe $50 for supplements and then maybe $190 for the feet per month / 6 weeks

$510 total... teehee... less than people pay for board!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.