The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is my last lesson before our show. =) This is the first time jumping higher then 2 foot! =D I don't know why, but I think I found it easier to jump the higher jumps then the smaller ones. They weren't much higher, but they were higher. Here is a screen shot I have. How high do you think this is? :

Also, here's the video. I know not all of them are great, but I am still surprised of how well we did. I was finally getting used to the bigger jumps. At first, we started low (but you can't see them), but then my trainer just kept raising them. =0 =) I was so happy when we jumped them!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
looks like 5 foot standards... so i'd say approx 2'9".

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Why is it that 2' 9" looks so small on everything but the standards my barn has. They're like 7 feet but everything looks huge on them. Make sure you let us know how your show goes! Good luck!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Are you sure that it would be 2'9"? The OP said it was her first time jumping over 2' so it would surprise me if her trainer would suddenly decide to raise the jumps 9", that's quite a bit higher.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a bit higher, but I don't think it's exactly 2'9". It's just en estimate I was looking for. If you watch the video my trainer is standing next to the standard and she is just a few inches taller then it so I am going to go up to one of my friends about the same height and measure up to their butt to get a better guess. =)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Any critic?
From what I can see, your hands move quite a bit and you don't give very much release over jumps. It also looks like you got a little left behind over some jumps. Your horse was counter-bending around some turns meaning he is trying to drop his shoulder instead of properly bending.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would say it's a big 2'3", maybe a little 2'6". It would be odd for the trainer to suddenly go up any higher than 3", if you've only been jumping 2'. Bend in your hips & stay over the horse more going towards the fence, ride off your pelvic bone, that way you're over the horse enough that you don't have to throw you body at all, you can stay absolutely still. It looks like your attempting to crest fence over some of the fences, but you're pulling in the release, instead of correctly pushing into the crest. Press your fists into their neck(crest) over the fence. You have a good, straight back & shoulders, and your leg is pretty good. The only thing I see with your leg is, it looks like you slightly pinch with your knee, open your knee up & ride off your calf, that's also part of the reason you balance on your hands alittle bit. Good job overall though! :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd guess the height of the fence is about 2ft6 or so, looks like the height I jump with my friends cob!

Try not to get infront of the movement, wait to feel your horse take off underneath you :) what my trainer used to do was get us to look away from the fence so we would feel the movement. Bloody scary at first but after a bit you really click :)

When approaching the jump in trot, try sitting in the saddle 3/4 strides away. It helps drive your horse onto the fence. You seem to be folding to the side a little too, riding without stirrups really helps balance you up :D Keep your weight down into those heels & it will stop your leg swinging back on the jump.

Good luck in the competition! Cant wait to see how you get on :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.