The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my little bay roan mare . True to being roan , she changes colours constantly.
Big blaze , 4 white socks, 2 blue eyes , big stripes on hooves.
She’s grade so I don’t have any idea what stock she’s from .

What do you suspect ? Splash ? Frame? Paint or Appaloosa genetics ?
Horse Vertebrate Plant Working animal Liver

Horse Sky Cloud Plant Working animal

Horse Tire Wheel Sky Car

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Guessing: appaloosa, bay, splash. Appaloosa would get you the striped hooves, the near-white over the rump and back, maybe the flecks in her overall color. Varnish roan (part of the Leopard complex in appys) would give you that roaning without the roan gene. Splash is obvious with the blue eyes and large blaze.

She's a cutie.

·
Super Moderator
14,744 Posts
I was going to say those dark marks are corn spots that go with roan. Rabicano and roan with splash. Her striped hooves are from ermine spots. QH/Paint. One of my bay QH has striped hooves from same. She is pretty 😍

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to say those dark marks are corn spots that go with roan. Rabicano and roan with splash. Her striped hooves are from ermine spots. QH/Paint. One of my bay QH has striped hooves from same. She is pretty 😍
Yes , don’t think I’ve ever met a roan that didn’t have those dark spots. Seems to be those are just a part of being roan .

·
Registered
50,795 Posts
But, isn't "Paint " horse, genetically, basically the same as Quarter Horse? with some Thoroughbred?

the thin tails speaks of appaloosa, to me. you also thought she might be part Saddlebred, as I recall.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Thin mane & tail don't always mean Appy. Boo doesn't have much mane, Skippy has very thin mane & tail and the 2 of them throw some babies with the thickest manes and tails I've ever seen.

The dark spots go with roan, striped hooves from the ermine spots. The only way to know if splash or frame for sure, is to test, she might be both. They're both overo traits.

·
Super Moderator
14,744 Posts
But, isn't "Paint " horse, genetically, basically the same as Quarter Horse? with some Thoroughbred?

the thin tails speaks of appaloosa, to me. you also thought she might be part Saddlebred, as I recall.
Many Paint are mostly QH lines but they are not registered QH. The rules have changed enough in both registries the lines are blurring and depending on the age of the horse it could be either or both had it been registered.

I too have a palomino QH that has almost no forelock, thin mane and little tail.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Bay roan splash, possibly frame as well - the face white widening out above the eyes more towards one side than the other, and the little "moustache" spot, indicate it to me (but unless a horse is obviously visually frame you have to test to be certain, any animal from a breed that has frame should be tested before breeding even if it has zero white because frame can completely hide on some horses).

The striped hooves are from the ermine spots on her coronets. The dark spots are corn marks and are related to roan. Corn marks are when a roan's hair grows back dark in places where they've had a minor cut or scrape. They stay dark for the rest of the horse's life in most cases, though certainly not all (I've known a roan that only kept them for a season or two before they disappeared).

I see zero LP traits at all. I would assume this horse was a grade QH or Paint. (QHs have both splash and frame)

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Yes and no. Most trace back to QH lines but AQHA didn't want any part of the extra white and refused to register them until recently. They STILL ignore science and put the disclaimer on the registration papers, "This horse has white markings designated under AQHA rules as an undesirable trait and uncharacteristic of the breed.”, Rule 205b.

Since this horse in unregistered, it would be considered Pinto, which is a color registry, and not Paint, which requires QH, Paint, or Thoroughbred lines to register.

·
Banned
130 Posts
Thin mane & tail don't always mean Appy. Boo doesn't have much mane, Skippy has very thin mane & tail and the 2 of them throw some babies with the thickest manes and tails I've ever seen.

The dark spots go with roan, striped hooves from the ermine spots. The only way to know if splash or frame for sure, is to test, she might be both. They're both overo traits.
Right my QH mare is almost bald hahaha she looks like we shave her mane but we don’t touch it, it’s just little wisps here and there, luckily she has a nice neck.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts