The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the posts on http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/epm-help-46721/ and had a question, but I didn't want to hijack her thread.

Several years ago I went to a seminar put on by Fort Dodge when they released their West Nile and EPM vaccines. Following this I had my horses at the time vaccinated for both, but circumstances later forced me to be out of the horse world for a few years. I just got back in this year, and when I got my new horses vaccinated I asked the vet to give the EPM vaccine and he said it wasn't being done anymore, and the vaccine was no longer being manufactured. I'm curious as to what happened there, since I obviously missed some developments during my horse hiatus, and googling the vaccine just provides me with old sites talking about what a good thing the vaccine was. I know it was released on conditional approval - did it ultimately prove to be ineffective or cause problems?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
ive never heard of it !

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Fort Dodge was only ever able to get a conditional license for the vaccine because they could prove that is was safe but not that it was effective at preventing disease. Therefore after about 3 years of having it on the market without ever being able to prove that it was effective, it's license was pulled.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Ryle! I'm glad to hear it was pulled for being ineffective rather than because there were complications, I'd hate to think I had inadvertently harmed my horses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.