The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flat nosed fleece lined hackamore. My girl has been doing fabulous with neck reining and I have been able to calm her. Tonight a dog came up behind us as I was stopped talking to someone and she bolted. I mean full speed ahead. We ran past a truck so I couldn't turn her.

Needless to say I had so much momentum I flipped off her left side and landed on my right. I have to add she is 14 and still has her wolf teeth.

So my question is what is the best hackamore?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Nothing's going to stop a horse in a dead bolt. Best thing to do is desensitize her to dogs and other "scary" things.

·
Administrator
36,138 Posts
I'm thinking that you're using an English Hackamore?
aaaaaaah.png
aaaaaa2.png

If so, the shanks are really short compared to a lot of mechanical hackamores and the noseband being wide, flat and padded, makes them only a step up from a bitless bridle.

I'm not saying that you should go for something more severe but unless the horse is well trained to pressure on the nose as opposed to a bit, in a fear flight bolt situation, it will run right through it.

Are you using the hackamore because of the wolf teeth? If so you might want to consider getting them removed if the horse is that reactive.

I think the problem is dealing with the horse's over reaction to the dog as much as it is to the lack of response to the hackamore because a panicked horse will run through anything if its not listening to the rider or doesn't get the right response from the rider

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Are you sure she has wolf teeth? Generally they are found in male horses. Many people think the canines, which are fairly close to the front teeth or incisors are wolf teeth. Wolf teeth are actually tiny teeth just in front if the molars, which is why they interfere with bitting. Canines do not interfere with a properly fitted bit.

If you do not want to use a bit, then any hackamore needs to give you the ability to turn the horse sharply. If your horse does not neck rein sharply and quickly when going fast, you need to have the ability to direct rein a sharp turn.

This is something that needs to be practiced in any hackamore at walk, trot and on circles so you can use it if your horse takes off.

First I'd make sure you have good directional control at faster speeds when your horse is calm using the hackamore. If you can't get that, then consider using a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking that you're using an English Hackamore?
View attachment 1111223 View attachment 1111224
If so, the shanks are really short compared to a lot of mechanical hackamores and the noseband being wide, flat and padded, makes them only a step up from a bitless bridle.

I'm not saying that you should go for something more severe but unless the horse is well trained to pressure on the nose as opposed to a bit, in a fear flight bolt situation, it will run right through it.

Are you using the hackamore because of the wolf teeth? If so you might want to consider getting them removed if the horse is that reactive.

I think the problem is dealing with the horse's over reaction to the dog as much as it is to the lack of response to the hackamore because a panicked horse will run through anything if its not listening to the rider or doesn't get the right response from the rider

The farm I adopted her from has a no bit policy. So I just never used one. Then when the dentist came he said I can't use I have them removed. This is only the second of 2 bolts in 5 years that I came off. Neither time was I wearing full seat riding pants. So I know that added to the spill. I have never had a hard time calming her but the combination of the dog me not paging attention and the hackamore not giving me enough of what I needed.

And yes I have the English hackamore.

Thank you. I am looking into a longer shank hackamore and going to work on desensitization of dogs.

·
Premium Member
23,921 Posts
Best hackamore? Imo it's a real one not a mechanical bitless device. English 'hackamores' aren't nasty like the long shanked, sharp nosed types at least, that can break a horses nose even. Echoing that no device used forcefully is likely to stop a bolting horse though.

So saying, sounds like, if you've only lost her twice in 5 years, you're doing very well & she likely understands & is responsive to what you're using, so the best kit for you & her is probably exactly what you have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure she has wolf teeth? Generally they are found in male horses. Many people think the canines, which are fairly close to the front teeth or incisors are wolf teeth. Wolf teeth are actually tiny teeth just in front if the molars, which is why they interfere with bitting. Canines do not interfere with a properly fitted bit.

If you do not want to use a bit, then any hackamore needs to give you the ability to turn the horse sharply. If your horse does not neck rein sharply and quickly when going fast, you need to have the ability to direct rein a sharp turn.

This is something that needs to be practiced in any hackamore at walk, trot and on circles so you can use it if your horse takes off.

First I'd make sure you have good directional control at faster speeds when your horse is calm using the hackamore. If you can't get that, then consider using a bit.
Yes, it is crazy but she has wolf teeth. An equine dentist told me when I had her teeth done last year. She is an anomaly for her breed. A 15.2+/- mustang with draft feathers, feet and jaw line with chimera (sp?) which might explain the presence of the wolf teeth.

I have received a lot of great advice and will be working with her in an arena for the next few outings. With the possibility of having the wolf teeth removed.

Thank you!
20210312_063233.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts