The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello so my main goal this year is to get Champ completly broke:shock:.
This is going to be a small task as he is green broke as I would put it. But what do you consider broke?
Right now he can
walk very slow collected in circles and straight lines
trot same as walk
he leg yields very easily
spins both ways with correctness and decent speed
picks up leads both ways in lope his collection is lacking but his speed is great
backs up with no contact
simple lead changes, started on flying lead change
sidepasses and opens gaits with ease
stops very well
transitions are alright
-
Ok hes a little more than green broke but he needs work.
Tasia

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
It sounds to me like you have got a very good basis on "green" broke. IMHO, if you aren't wanting him to be trained for any specific discipline, he is probably pretty close to broke right now.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I agree, unless you are aiming him at something specific, he is pretty well broke already, just needs fine tuning.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
To me broke is a horse who you can take any where and do anything with and they will do EXACTLY what you say when you say.

I have always found that you can tell how well broke a horse is when you put them on cattle for the first time in a reined cow horse pattern.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
To me broke is a horse who you can take any where and do anything with and they will do EXACTLY what you say when you say.

This is important to me too. I want my guy comfortable anywhere doing anything. Even if it involves ponying a totally strange horse he may show no interest and just do the job. He must tie anywhere without making a fuss, no pawing , calling acting upset. He must hobble, enter strange barns with confidence . Refuse nothing, ground tie etc etc.
I intend to post the definition of a broke horse next week when I am back to work, it is on my work computer.

·
Registered
310 Posts
A horse with lots of exposure always makes a good broke horse. It builds confidence and makes them more trusting to enter new situations. A horse willing to do anything you ask anywhere is a good definition of a broke horse.

·
Banned
593 Posts
well the word broke is used very broadly and in diff ways. theres Broke to saddle , green broke , dead broke (as in 100% rideable and quiet) theres quiet a few ways that word is used. just thought id get that out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i think all he needs to do is get plenty of practice to build on what he already knows. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.