The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning out my horses feet before riding and I noticed white chalky stuff when I picked her feet and it looks like something scraped the underneath hard and then I went to see if more would come off and a chunk did..I put some antibactrial stuff on it. It's a smalls spot...it's not by the frog.

Anyone ever seen that happen?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Does it smell? It could be thrush... It's hard to tell by your description. Could you get a picture?

·
Registered
475 Posts
-shrugs- I wouldn't worry too much about thrush. It's not the worst thing that can happen to your horses feet. Horses get thrush, you take care of it and it's over. If it is thrush, get some Kopertox and your problem will be solved. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't smell.
I will take a picture to show you. Hope it's not thrush. I doubt it is.
It's white and chalky..size of a dime. I will get a picture.

·
Registered
475 Posts
At least it isn't stinky! If it was thrush, you'd smell it =)

I'll go with what Honeysuga said then. It's probably just her sole shedding out.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Thrush is usually black and smells bad.

The white chalky stuff is just shedding sole. It usually means she's not shedding it on her own, which is common in wet weather or soft pastures. Just mention it to your farrier next time he/she is out. You'll want all of the dead sole removed so the farrier can see how much hoof wall he/she can really take off.

It also doesn't hurt to scrape it out yourself. Use your hoof pick or the blunt side of a hoof knife. Quit scraping when you run in to a "waxy" type material that doesn't scrape off well. That's the "live sole".

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you very much.
I wasn't sure if it was some type of bacteria since she was out in a field and it's been wet and muddy out.

I will scrape it tomorrow.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Is she shod or barefoot? If she is barefoot leave it alone, it is there for a reason and will shed off at its own speed.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Even barefoot you want it gone. "Dead sole" can build up and impact, which isn't good for barefoot horses either. It can change how the horse is trimmed, which can alter the angles, and create intermittent lameness. Scraping off dead sole exposes the live sole, which needs stimulation from the ground to grow more healthy sole, bar, and frog material, which is essential for a barefoot horse.

The sole callus should not be removed. A sole callus will not be chalky and flaky. It will be hard and will not scrape out with a hoof knife.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright...she is shod and it's only slight. I will work on it and I will also have my farrier come out and tell him about it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
It's just dead sole flaking off, don't worry about it. When your farrier comes on his regular appointment he will scrape it out if that is his normal trimming style. It's really no big deal. The wet footing has simply allowed it to loosen up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.