The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Looks like some sort of Infection at the toe. His bars are folded over and looks like it wants to exfoliate.

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That hole is where abscess was dug out, earlier this summer. His shoes/pads were just pulled off wed.
Not much was done he tends to get sore,after shoes get pulled off. Farrier will be back in two weeks to trim.

What's best treatment for seedy toe?

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I'd say the others are possibly correct, but also we might just be seeing dirt that looks odd in a photograph.

The sole looks like it is exfoliating, I don't think the bars are visible enough to comment. It looks like the toe might have been brought back, which could mean the improving hoof form means you're seeing more sole than you're used to. A change in weather will make retained sole begin to come out and cause the cracking you see. Usually when the soil gets a bit softer or wetter after a dry period. Since there is separation around the edge, I would try seeing if the sole wants to come out with a hoof pick. If it does, you can help it exfoliate in order to prevent organisms from ending up under the loose, dead sole, causing thrush. The hoof might be ready for a trim if that sole does come out. Often the hoof walls appear flush with the sole, but then it will exfoliate and surprise, it's time to trim. I've had it happen where I trimmed my horses, the weather changed, sole came out, and I had to trim again a week later.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@gottatrot, there is in fact a hole that's from abscess almost 3 months ago. Never totally filled in again. I took hoof pick to sole and some came out.

Only one hoof has the cracking in sole. Right front is smooth,as are hind feet.

It was really wet then froze and now 2 inches of snow. Been an extremely wet summer/fall. Possibly a major winter storm tomorrow night, through Sunday afternoon. We are in winter storm watch

·
Super Moderator
14,754 Posts
What's best treatment for seedy toe?
I have found what worked for me was soaking in White Lightning made by Grand Circuit.
Followed mixing directions after reading the entire instructional pamphlet first...
2 boots, 1 for soaking then 1 for fumigating allowed me to do feet faster and a lot less mess.
I did one treatment and my farrier was overjoyed 2 weeks later when he returned at the difference {positive} he saw.
A fresh trim prior to soaking so pores are open, was also what I/we did...it worked!

My horse had signs of separation, possible starting issues and we were treating before we had major issues...
My farrier told me to get this product to soak...
I also found they make a gel form and purchased that too.
Due to weather conditions that can go from hot/dry to very wet/hot seemingly overnight my horses feet soften, harden and soften allowing a cracking at the toe...
I use the gel to treat the toe area so we not allow organisms to flourish and make a home environment...

As for the sole of the hoof...
No comment from me...
There are qualified here who see a lot more than I do and can offer what to do or don't...:|
I will offer...hope all is OK.

Be safe in that impending storm.
Batten down, prepare for the accumulation, the not being able to get to them easily...
And hang in there...spring is on the way. :icon_rolleyes:
:runninghorse2:....

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thinking I'm going to get the white lighting gel. Not sure soaking would work in below freezing weather.

Apparently the foot needs wrapped after treating with it?? Does it need opened up so it can be treated?
It's not very deep ,holes barely below soles edge. It's been like that for months,was same size last time feet were done, 5 weeks ago.

Haven't ordered anything yet,have nothing to wrap with. Used all my wrap supply when he abscessed. Feed store had thrush buster nothing else.

All I have is no thrush powder,can put that in the hole of his foot.

He'll be in barn till Sunday afternoon. Due to snow storm, strong winds an heavy snow, coming in tonight. Hopefully power doesn't go out.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Of course I prefer vet wrap when needing to wrap a hoof but in a pinch you can use gauze as a protective layer before duct taping. That's what was used back in the old days before vet wrap came on the scene.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So hole is deeper then I thought. A few pics I took tonight. Hoof picture showing how far hoof pick goes into hole in hoof.

Pic of hoof pick with line showing how far in it went. Bottom edge of line is where sole was. Out of duct tape also it will be sometime next week ,before I'll be able to go anywhere.
Big storm is going to hit tonight, 16 inches of snow along with freezing rain snow mix. And strong winds to whip it around. Need to go bring in horses and close up barn here.

If I don't reply tomorrow chances are we lost our power.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank for replies. For now I'm using no thrush powder. He'll be trimmed here in a few weeks. I'll see what farrier thinks.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
Hope the storm is lighter than predicted. Stay safe.

I really like magic cushion to pack hoofs with, keeps the crud out while the hoof grows.

The hoof doesn't look too bad, seems to be recovering. I like to use BioFlax 20 to speed up hoof growth and develop stronger hooves.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope the storm is lighter than predicted. Stay safe.

I really like magic cushion to pack hoofs with, keeps the crud out while the hoof grows.

The hoof doesn't look too bad, seems to be recovering. I like to use BioFlax 20 to speed up hoof growth and develop stronger hooves.
Thanks,I talked to farrier he said that hole is an abscess track ,from a few weeks ago or so.

Said flush it out and put a cotton ball in it with antibiotic ointment. Yeah I have magic cushion suppose I could pack his hoof with that.

I'll have to try the bio flax 20, going to put in an order for stuff to treat thrush.So I'll order the bio flax 20.

Yeah storm isn't any where near what they predicted. Left horses outside last night.
Snowed just enough to make roads slick.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Wow, I looked up Bioflax because I also feed a flax supplement and that stuff is pricey!

Is it really THAT much better than Omega Horseshine? That's what I feed and it's 20lbs for $50 at Tractor Supply Co. And I thought I was really being indulgent buying that.

I think Bioflax has a little more biotin per serving, but I always feed the minimum serving of Omega Horseshine, you could easily feed a little more. Omega Horseshine also seems to have more added vitamins and minerals than Bioflax.

Anyway, my horse has the most beautiful coat since I started feeding flax last spring. I've been super happy with it.

I really don't worry about her hooves because she's always had strong hooves. I feed a good deal of alfalfa, and it's my personal theory that the protein in alfalfa makes for strong hooves. :Angel:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
After a little more research I found out that Bioflax is probably about the same price as Omega Horseshine.

20lbs of Horseshine is a 90 day supply at 1/2 cup per serving. $50

A 5lb bucket of Bioflax is a 80 day supply. So it's a lot more concentrated by weight. $43

I am happy with the Horseshine so I will stick with it. But I just wanted to report my findings. :smile:

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I never tried the Omega Horse shine to know if it works.

The BioFlax 20 was recommended by an independent testing company. (of which I do not remember; sorry)

I fed it to my Arab/paint cross and could SEE the difference in hoof growth. He had soft, white hooves, and after three months on the BioFlax 20 he had over an inch of yellowish growth coming from the coronet band. Within 8 months his hooves had completely grown new wall and he no longer needed shoes or boots.

It was amazing.

My new horse is on it, and the farrier recently told me his hooves were "almost too hard" :smile: Important to have hard, strong hooves going into winter, which here means frequent rainy days.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Just a note about the sole again: When you have a subsolar abscess, the horse grows a whole new sole underneath and the rest will shed away. That doesn't mean you want to help it along. The new sole underneath is immature.

Cotton is okay, but oakum is a natural fiber that can be stuck in most holes and is easy to remove. It keeps holes aerated and also holds treatments well. I've mixed it with medicated solepack for various problems. You can put oakum in a ziploc bag with iodine/triodine to disinfect it first, and that shouldn't hurt anything. It's a small amount of disinfectant.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
A hunk of sole is coming out. Looks pink under sole that coming off. A pic showing about how much area of sole.

Where does one get oakum?? Going to get stuff to wrap his hoof with tomorrow.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Where does one get oakum?? Going to get stuff to wrap his hoof with tomorrow.
A quick search found it at Jamestown Distributors, as well as at plumbing supply and log cabin supply sites. I'm familiar with its use in caulking wooden boats; apparently it's used to caulk other things, too, and it makes total sense that it would work in a horse's hooves!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info on where to get oakum. He had half his sole pop out and it's very pinkish red. He's wrapped with a boot over it. I knew something was up this morning he was very sore.

Here's a picture showing how much sole he lost,from original picture I drew on. Will try and get a picture, when I change wrap in a few days.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.