The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My barn owner purchased this gelding a year ago. He is 16.2hh and was advertised as a "quarter horse" My best guess is belgian/appaloosa, but I would love to hear your oppinions.

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
I like your guess. I do see draft in him, for sure.

IT's distantly possible that he is a mustang/draft cross, too. There were some draft stallions released into wild horse herds back in the 20's or earlier to help breed "free" farm horses of a good draft type. I think in particular in the Oregon herds, but please correct me if I am wrong on that.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I would guess QH Appy breeding. Appy's aren't a specific breed so he could very well have something else in him

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Wow, he has a sexy butt. I do see some Belgian in him.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I don't know much about breeds but to me he looks like he has some sort of draft in him. To me he looks big in a drafty way rather then a QH way. Also the feathering on the fetlock makes me think this. I could see appy in there because of the colour but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
51,088 Posts
I see a lot of draft hints; the shape of his hooves, the feathering on the fetlock, the long nose, the way he is very short coupled, his neck which is pretty short and his big shoulder.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does he have any mottling on his nose or around his eyes? If so he has Appy in him. BUt i can tell he has Quarter in him too. But my guess would be Appy/Quarter.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
he has the sparse mane, mottling and white sclara of an appy. I find the majority of appys have lots of quarter horse blood in them. He has big feet and somthing about the way he is built that says draft to me. on a different note, his mane is silver. is this an effect of roaning?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.