The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was just thinking about how much fun jumping is, and that it's always been my favorite part of riding. But what about it is so fun? Is it just simply the feel of going over the jump, or is it the feeling of accomplishment after you've taken a jump or ridden the course, is it the nervousness that you finally get over when you raise the height? I can't figure out what it is about jumping that everyone loves so much?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'd imagine it would be different for each person!
I'm personally a very nervous rider, so jumping is a big confidence boost for me - taking the risk, and coming out alive and feeling like I accomplished something! Others might like it for difference reasons.

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I'm a Western rider, but shined up my mom's old Pandur saddle over the winter and started teaching myself English. My friend who rides on the IEA team is gonna give me a "lesson" hehe so I'm excited for that. Today I tacked Arthur up English and we cantered over some 18in standards it was rily fun:)

·
Registered
10,490 Posts
I love it already! My gelding's 21-22 ish....that's not too old to start teaching him, is it? Hes in really good shape and looks great for his age. The only thing is, when I canter up to the jump, he just wants to run, run, run (like always) until we get like 5 feet from the jump, when I have to nudge him with my heels and catch his head with the bit when he tries to go around the jump to make sure he doesn't drop down to a walk or dodge around the jump. Silly horse :p. Any ideas on how to correct that?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, do you have a trainer to help out with this? If you do, then ask her how to solve it too, but I know a few things you can do.

If your horse just wants to run at the fence at first, then do some small circles right at the moment when he gets fast. And you can half halt, making sure not to hang on his mouth either, because that can also get a horse wanting to go again.

When he wants to stop or go around the jump, look up-- look where you want to go. I have a problem with staring at the fence on my way to it, so make sure to keep your eyes up, shoulders back, and push him forward to the jump. If you keep your hands steady and keep your hands in front of you, your reins short enough, you also can create a "box" to drive him towards the fence. If you do this, you might actually literally feel like you put horse horse in a box, sending him straight to the jump!

I had to do this a couple years ago on a pony I rode a lot, and it really worked. I hope this helps, I just know a few things from having ridden many different horses before!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
For most people I'd say adrenaline rush. I do some jumping, but don't particularly enjoy it more than any other form of riding.

·
Registered
341 Posts
For most people I'd say adrenaline rush. I do some jumping, but don't particularly enjoy it more than any other form of riding.
Yep, it's the adrenaline rush for me! Plus Lottie enjoys it far more than flatwork, she's at her most co-operative when she knows she'll be jumping. I feel we're more of a team then and that's pretty rewarding as well.

·
Banned
249 Posts
Defiantly the adrenaline rush for me! It's amazing having 1000 pounds underneath you and neither of you touching the ground for a few seconds.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah this is true. :) I think I just love the feeling of getting over the fence, when I make it higher. the highest I've jumped with the horse I ride now is 3'3" and the highest ever was 3'9". The higher I go, the more excited I get!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well I can't comment too much as we just did our first few jumps together yesterday but feeling how happy my boy was had to have been the best part, he really came alive when he realized that we weren't just doing trot poles and he got to do some jumps. It was the most I have felt that we really came together as a team, I can't wait to go again (we're keeping it to once a week.)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, once a week of jumping is plenty for me. Sometimes it's twice a week, because we have a jumping lesson every other week or so.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I personally don't like jumping, but I can understand the thrill. You feel a lot of power when you go over a jump. When you're just riding, you don't feel that 1,000 + pounds of muscle, but over a jump, you can feel it. Nice feeling, but not for me. :D

Also, many English riders are pressured to jump. I've been called a total noob because I don't fly over 3 ft. fences.

·
Registered
495 Posts
When you look behind you and can say, "holy crap, I went over THAT?!"

Also works if you're standing next to it...that's what I do after most lessons as my sense of height gets quite distorted on Brooke's back...I didn't know I had jumped 3'6" until my trainer told me. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
For me it's the thrill and the adrenaline. Going over those jumps is the best feeling you can get...I love it soooo much! :grin:

I would advice everyone to try out jumping at least once. It won't be a waste of time, even if you don't like it. :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.