The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting one in a year or two and im so excited! Ive never had one before so before owning one i need to know as much as i can. So what is it like to have a horse? Thanks everyone who anwsers! :D x

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
It's like having an bottomless well to throw your money (and time). :wink:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
It is the most soul satisfying thing I do.... there is something about being with my horse that is just real. He does not try to impress me and he does not pretend to be something he is not. I love seeing his face and hugging him.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
It's money, time and lots of hard work. It's happy, mad and sad at different times. But normally for me, I love hugging my horses, it like having a friend who it's self and they can't care how you dress and act. Though sometimes my horses look at me like I'm insane at times, lol. There mostly of the time your worries float away when I'm around them, it's a great feeling of the spirit and it a joy.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Its complicated.

When you're a kid its all sunshine and rainbows, well most of the time.

Otherwise its a constant money and time pit, a lot of work for a little gain. At the same time just being away from it all is nice, and when your horse learns things its satisfying, and when you achieve things you really feel like you did it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds fun! I understand all the expenses and everything, Just going to have to start saving more lol x
Thanks everyone (-:

·
Registered
307 Posts
After the expenses, its still hard work. There is no days off, and its way more dirty that one would guess. you smell constantly like horse poop and leather.
All you clother will be stained and your legs and feet will be sore and get blisters. At least, untill you get used to it. Invest in good boots, not just riding ones, and gloves.
That being said, they are the most fun Ive ever had. As an adult or a kid. They will love you for you, they dont care you smell like poop, or that you need to shave.

Oh, and I never met a horse person who doesnt love the smell of leather.

·
Banned
2,978 Posts
It's pretty fun! I don't have to pay for them yet though... I know it's alot more complicated when you have to pay for em. But reading the previous posts it seems they like it no matter the expense otherwise they'd not have horses.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
It's not a hobby, it's a lifestyle.

No one word can describe what it's like to have horses. They're always expensive, regardless of the reason. They're infuriating and wonderful at the same time.

Having horses is 90% work and 10% fun. If that's not a ratio you can live with, don't have any. There are no shortcuts to good horse care, and caring for them is what you'll be doing the majority of the time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I work for my horse. My fiance also works for my horse! He takes all of our money, all of our time, and about 75% of my heart. My fiance is perfectly ok with being second!! I work all day, spend every night at the barn and get very little sleep, even less time for chores or errands. He is our whole world but I wouldn't want it any other way. One nuzzle makes it all worth it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
After the expenses, its still hard work. There is no days off, and its way more dirty that one would guess. you smell constantly like horse poop and leather.
All you clother will be stained and your legs and feet will be sore and get blisters. At least, untill you get used to it. Invest in good boots, not just riding ones, and gloves.
That being said, they are the most fun Ive ever had. As an adult or a kid. They will love you for you, they dont care you smell like poop, or that you need to shave.

Oh, and I never met a horse person who doesnt love the smell of leather.
ahhhh:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol thanks everyone! Yep i know it will be seriously hard work, but i also know it will be worth it when i give them a cuddle at the end of the day (-:
How much do you spend a month on average? And how much time a day do you spend with your horse? Im thinking of putting my horse on part livery since i still have to go to school and do some work and everything. Whats the best soloution for me? Keep in mind i love horses more than anything and have ridden all my life (-: x

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone else love the feeling when you dismount at the end of a successful lesson? Its one of the most fulfilling feelings of my life (-: x

·
Banned
2,978 Posts
Right now I ride about three times a week cause it's about all I have time for right now. I would be out there everyday, but band rehearsal is on Monday and Tuesday. And Wednesday is a riding lesson so I get to ride on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, and sometimes on the weekends. All if weather permits. And yes it is a good feeling getting off after a good lesson indeed!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I spend $600 a month on board, including feed and bedding. Lessons are another $220 a month. His supplements are $160 a month. His farrier is $165 every six weeks. Shots for his arthritis is $200 for 3-4 months. Vet bills are approximately $1000 per year.

Then there is the shopping for tack, blankets, accessories, treats, toys, grooming items, shows, etc...

I spend about 3 hours a night, and 4-5 hours Saturday and Sunday at the barn. But, I have full care board so I don't have to feed, do stalls, or turnout.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
IT'S AMAZING

I love my horses like they are my kids. It's a lot of hard work but to me that hard work is a lot of fun because I have been horse obsessed since I was little. I was that girl that learned how to braid on one of my "my little pony" dolls.I always had those horse folders,etc.

When you see that your horse is happy and healthy it's very rewarding. Oh and how you can bury your face into their neck....i love the smell.

BUT there are no shortcuts to good horse care as Speed Racer mentioned.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
On average I spend $175....The $100 is for rent..we get an excellent deal..and the $75 would be for the grain,bedding,or anything we may need. I will be buying a ton of alfalfa for $150 soon. I also have to buy supplements.

·
Banned
2,978 Posts
^^Yeah, Gidget, I see hard work as fun when it's with something you love. I don't see how people like horses, but yet don't want to do the hard work that goes with it. Yes it's constant care as speed racer mentioned and expensive, but those are some of the consequences all us horse people know about. I don't know if this is a good comparison, but through my experiences hard work is miserable if you don't like what you're doing cause band is hard work and I hate it. So I tend to be in a down mood on band rehearsal days like today, but then I realize I have my horse to go home to. I'm only in band cause mom won't allow me to quit till after this year (Senior year) I'm with horses cause I *Want* to be.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts