The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's birthday is tomorrow and my 93 y.o. Mom gave her this. Anyone know what it is or for? Mom can't remember, I do remember she had it hanging over one fireplace. She can't remember where she got it, but did work in an antique store in the 70s. It's leather, about 10" lion, the two brass horse's easily can be removed from strap. Nothing written anywhere on it. Strap slots about 1" wide.
Any ideas, thanks in advance. 20200503_132316.jpg 20200503_132327.jpg 20200503_132346.jpg

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spellchecker..."about 10" lion," about 10" long. Each brass horse about 3"x3.5"

·
Super Moderator
14,726 Posts
I'm pretty sure it is off a driving harness...
Think it might be on heavy harness, the vertical strap that comes down the scapula bone or the loin strap that comes off the rump to the breeching strap I've seen do-dads on before.
It could also be off the harness pad area where the girth strap attaches to.

This is more what I was thinking..think the picture shows it as a quarter strap.

Whatever it is, its pretty....
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Ditto the previous posters.

Reactions: boots

·
Registered
49,434 Posts
Its very nice! I'd be thrilled to recieve something like that. It could be framed in one of the shadow box frames and look really nice, perhaps with a face suede type mat around it?

·
Administrator
36,137 Posts
We call them ‘horse brasses’ in the U.K.
They are used as decorations on Draft horses but people collect them too, quite often hung at the sides and across the mantles of fireplaces in cottagey type homes and pubs.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Decoration on draft harness. Is threaded on the martingale of draft show harness. Called Horse Brass. Very collectable. Interesting history depending on the style and type of piece. Smaller single piece are added to bridles.

And now all replies drop. They were also used to ward off evil spirits. Here are two. Both are more than typical for the states but they show placement and the extreme example.

Attachments

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Decoration on draft harness. Is threaded on the martingale of draft show harness. Called Horse Brass. Very collectable. Interesting history depending on the style and type of piece. Smaller single piece are added to bridles.

And now all replies drop. They were also used to ward off evil spirits. Here are two. Both are more than typical for the states but they show placement and the extreme example.
Wish I could see the two pictures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts