The Horse Forum banner

What is it? Tack?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Dakotalikescookies 
#1 ·
My wife's birthday is tomorrow and my 93 y.o. Mom gave her this. Anyone know what it is or for? Mom can't remember, I do remember she had it hanging over one fireplace. She can't remember where she got it, but did work in an antique store in the 70s. It's leather, about 10" lion, the two brass horse's easily can be removed from strap. Nothing written anywhere on it. Strap slots about 1" wide.
Any ideas, thanks in advance. Fashion accessory Python Python family Door knocker Brass

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm pretty sure it is off a driving harness...
Think it might be on heavy harness, the vertical strap that comes down the scapula bone or the loin strap that comes off the rump to the breeching strap I've seen do-dads on before.
It could also be off the harness pad area where the girth strap attaches to.

This is more what I was thinking..think the picture shows it as a quarter strap.

Whatever it is, its pretty....
:runninghorse2:...

#10 · (Edited)
Decoration on draft harness. Is threaded on the martingale of draft show harness. Called Horse Brass. Very collectable. Interesting history depending on the style and type of piece. Smaller single piece are added to bridles.

And now all replies drop. They were also used to ward off evil spirits. Here are two. Both are more than typical for the states but they show placement and the extreme example.
Horse Bridle Halter Horse harness Horse tack
Horse tack Horse harness Bridle Horse Pack animal

Reactions: weeedlady
#11 ·
Decoration on draft harness. Is threaded on the martingale of draft show harness. Called Horse Brass. Very collectable. Interesting history depending on the style and type of piece. Smaller single piece are added to bridles.

And now all replies drop. They were also used to ward off evil spirits. Here are two. Both are more than typical for the states but they show placement and the extreme example.
Wish I could see the two pictures.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.