The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this boy yesterday and my best friend and I were hanging out in his stall just giving him some attention. He kept doing this weird thing with his lip where he was sort of "motor boating" (sorry, best to way to put it!!) her chest. He was rubbing his lips all over her and anytime she crossed her arms or cupped her hands together he nosied them apart. He never bit or even opened his mouth. We thought at first he thought she had a treat and was "searching" her for it but he did it for over 30 minutes! Surely he would know by then she did not have anything?

http://www.facebook.com/v/1213846519086

(click on the link--anyone with or without facebook can look at the video)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
horses who are constantly hand fed are always searching hands for snacks but they usually get fed up and bit something or someone. I used to play a game with my horse, find the carrot. He had to sniff it out. Maybe he just smells something on her.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looked at the video, but I couldn't hear the horse at all.

The horse must have been drowned out by the loud giggling.

We have a dog who makes noises looking for treats or just when he is happy and rolling around getting comfortable. We say he is "snorkling" because he makes a noise that sounds like "snork!"

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Looks like he's just looking for some affection! If it's treats he's looking for, you'd think after 30 mins of that he'd probably try to nip at pockets or something.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Haha, Looks like he is trying to get affection to me!! Give him pets and lots ofloving, brush him, laugh lots, seemed like he liked that : )
My horse puts his nose under your hand and then lifts his head up high lifting up his upper lip when he wants attenchion : ) Then he flips his head up and down making sounds like "Puck, Puck Puck" too hahaha

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Give him some time and I'm sure he will get around to biting someone eventually.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We loved it, and he did it for a long time. I was afraid it was a "bad" thing but we both figured he was playing. I had assumed the same--he was playing and her giggling was his "reward." When you walk away from him or stop paying attention to him, he walks over to you and sticks his nose on your chest. He is very needy attention-wise!

Thanks Kevin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When we first got our horses we gave them treats. What we found out was this was not such a great things as they became very "grabby and demanding". Some of that cute grabbing can be dangerous to fingers :). We still give them some treats but only as a reward for a new skill, etc. Cute video, I hope you enjoy your new friend.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If he isn't corrected, or something it could turn into biting..
Nipping, being pushy, or lead to bad ground manners period..

Just saying it's a maybe..

·
Registered
965 Posts
Well sure, everyone is right about the fact that it COULD turn into a nipping or biting situation...but aside from that...I think it's freakin' cute! lol. He looks like, to me, that he wants attention too, as some people have said. He looks so sweet and innocent, I want him! j/k j/k lol

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Cute! Not all horses do this for treats. Some just like the feel of rubbing their lip on things. One horse in my barn would happily spend hours licking and rubbing his lips on people.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.