The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So uh... Pistol gave me a nice little light ride today. But at a couple points after I stopped him and had him stand a moment he did... this. I caught one on camera. In the second one, he pawed once. He did used to impatiently paw when I was riding him sometimes. Could he have just been thinking about pawing but knowing he isn’t supposed to? I don’t think I’ve ever discouraged him from it other than just meaninglessly saying “hey cut it out” or redirecting him into doing something else. Should I be like... concerned? He was in full “I’m about to paw” position, head moved to the side to give him room and all. But then he didn’t, he just stood there and kinda jiggled his leg. ???? Hopefully this link works. Supposed to take viewer to unlisted YT vid of it. I’m also just noticing him tripping over his own back feet at the end there. I have a 18 minute video of me riding him and didn’t notice that at any other point.

(edit: I am just now realizing that to folks who do not know pistol the crossing the legs in a couple of those front foot steps probably looks bad, but I promise that those are just where he starts to want to go off in his own way and steps to do so and I kinda put him back on track and it causes that weird motion)

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s a longer video (took forever to upload but we got there) just to show he was otherwise acting pretty normal:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I suppose that could be what it is, but I would also keep a close eye on that leg. I'm going to tag in @QtrBel because they are much more experienced than I am.

·
Registered
10,567 Posts
Is he young and/or still green broke?

If so, that is what I am seeing - an unsure horse That isn’t confident about what he is supposed to be doing.

Plus when I can hear the wind whipping around, actually whistling thru the video, add to that the dogs barking at whatever noise or scents that the wind is carrying to them, I think he is doing very well.

I am also against continually turning a horse in tight circles, especially if they are young, all that tight movement is needlessly asking a lot of a horse, IMHO. It may be another part of whatever you’re feeling while sitting up there.

If he is an older well broke horse, I still think he is unsure in all that wind but I think I would have a quality chiropractor look at him - which wouldn’t hurt if he is young to be on the safe side:)

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is he young and/or still green broke?

If so, that is what I am seeing - an unsure horse That isn’t confident about what he is supposed to be doing.

Plus when I can hear the wind whipping around, actually whistling thru the video, add to that the dogs barking at whatever noise or scents that the wind is carrying to them, I think he is doing very well.

I am also against continually turning a horse in tight circles, especially if they are young, all that tight movement is needlessly asking a lot of a horse, IMHO. It may be another part of whatever you’re feeling while sitting up there.

If he is an older well broke horse, I still think he is unsure in all that wind but I think I would have a quality chiropractor look at him - which wouldn’t hurt if he is young to be on the safe side:)
He isn’t young though I’m happy he apparently looks that way LOL, he is 15, and has been under saddle a long time, longer than I have had him for sure. The tight circles are working on loosening his head up and getting him to give to pressure a little more easily, and also because I was practicing riding with “one rein at a time”. He often braces against pressure and that is what we were working on. Moments where you see his front feet step kinda funny over one another is where he is bracing and I am having to hold or increase pressure (depending on a few factors) until he quits and bends a little. I know he is quite a bendy horse, and can turn much tighter circles than those. When I do neck stretches with him he can get his nose all the way to his rump. Very bendy guy.

Pistol is an insecure horse at times, but he was near his barn and herd here, I don’t think that was the problem. He often prefers to stand in the wind with his butt to it than come inside when he isn’t being ridden or worked with. I don’t think the wind was the issue really. Maybe, idk. But I have had him for 6 years and he hasn’t acted afraid in the wind in around 3+, whenever he finally started to trust me (fella has trauma and trust issues from the past and I had idiots telling me to “bE tHe bOsS” to him so our relationship suffered thanks to that for a few years, but has improved drastically since I started ignoring that advice completely).

·
Banned
Snickers- Seal brown and white pinto mare
243 Posts
To me it looks like that leg is sore, stiff, or he is just impatient to get going again. He might have started to paw and then realized, wait. No. I'm not supposed to paw, maybe I'll be a good horsie and stop! dogs do stuff like this all the time, and so do horses.

·
Banned
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought maybe he wasn't comfortable loading (in standing) the leg also. Do you notice if he does it more when standing sightly downhill, on level ground, or on up hill ground?
Well, he would have been downhill slightly here. On the other instance we were on the side of a steep hill, and that’s the occasion where he fully pawed.

Reactions: Kailee TheCool
1 - 9 of 9 Posts