The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new trail horse, yesterday. The place she is at offered a free month of boarding and training, they said I can ask for anything and they will put it on the horse this month before I take her home. (I can go out there and ride her whenever I want.)
So I was thinking of what I wanted, I will make a list of everything I am interested in and can you horse trainer type people let me know if it works, or is just plain silly to ask?
She was kind of relectant to bridle and was turning away from me yesterday, so I want them to work on that a little.
I am planning on joining a drill team with her (the drill team is actually run by the people who sold me this horse and are doing her training.) So I would like her to be able to neck rein.
Now here are the more questionable things I was considering.
I kind of want her to be less responsive to leg? I know you don't really ask a trainer for that but if I have beginners on her I would like for her to know the difference between nervous leg hugging and a definite que. She isn't bad with this now, I am actually kind of impressed, but it could use a little more.
The other thing I am kind of iffy about is slowing down her canter into more of a westerny lope. I don't really know how that process works so idk what I am asking but I like those balanced rolling wp lopes. (of course I don't need it to that extreme but I mean to that affect.) I don't know if I can just ask a trainer to do that, and I don't know if I should if I am going to be on a cantering drill team.
any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wouldn't want to train her to be less responsive to leg... I think that this could lead to problems of not responding to leg at all later on if you aren't careful.
I work at a therapeutic riding center and we have a retired dressage horse that is extremely responsive to leg. The kids are definitely beginners, but she is not a problem for them. I work a lot on her learning what "whoa" means, just in case, but she knows when a beginner is riding her, and acts just fine.
She is definitely more responsive when I ride her, but I also know how to ask her for something, where the beginners do not.
Teaching her to lope will probably take some time. She will have to be at a good fitness level, and you will need to be able to effectively use your aids, and seat. I personally do not find a true western pleasure lope very comfortable compared to the more forward english canter, but this is probably personal preference. I have taught two of my horses to lope, and it takes time, but was not that hard to do. My horses can do a faster english canter, and the western pleasure lope, but to be honest, I rarely ask for the lope.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay so I should just ask for the bridling and neck reining? Is it reasonable to ask her to be able to neck rein in a month? (she is verrrry good with leg cues and leg steering so she should learn it pretty fast.)

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
IMHO, if the trainer was decent, then they should have no trouble getting a good start on all those things in 30 days, especially on a good natured horse who's already a good riding horse.

Where you might run into problems is that she won't be solid on any of it after 30 days and will need you to step up and continue with the training on it to get and keep her consistent.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am sure that she could learn to take the bridle in a month.
I am also sure that she could learn to neck rein. She may not be absolutely the best at it after a month, but she will probably understand the concept.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
x2 on the NOT training to be less responsive to leg. I never knew how nice it was to have a horse that is responsive to leg until I started leasing my current boy who is super-responsive to leg - it makes riding him more pleasurable since he bends and yields beautifully...and it has made me a better rider since I've had to think about my legs more as a result.

When I really appreciated it most is when I get back on the Clyde in my avatar over there <<< - he's not really responsive to leg at all, and frankly, I really missed it in tight quarters, especially given his size. He's a great horse, don't get me wrong, but although he understands basic leg pressure, he certainly doesn't leg yield or do anything particularly special beyond pace himself accordingly.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
What smrobs said. They should be able to teach her a good foundation in neck reining and slowing the canter (I call it making it "adjustable"), as well as deal with the bridling issue. I also would not make her less responsive to leg. You should watch their sessions with her when possible so that you can follow up and reinforce the training after they are finished.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Agree with others. Don't desensitise her to legs, but ensure that if you're going to put a beginner on her, that YOU stay in control, until you're sure the beginner is.

Does she tie up well? Trailerload? Hoof care?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I am going to email them the requests tonight. Yes, she ties, trailers, and picks up all her feet well. Her ground manners are impeccable.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Wow, I wish all horses came with a package deal like that, hope the training goes well!

I think if you're putting a beginner on her you should be leading/lunging the session anyways, so any training in that sense should be focused on making sure she listens well to cues from her person on the ground. Keep the leg cues sensitive. All other things you've listed are workable in a months time.

Congrats on the new horse! Pics are now a requirement.

Reactions: 5Bijou5

·
Registered
49,774 Posts
Thanks, I am going to email them the requests tonight. Yes, she ties, trailers, and picks up all her feet well. Her ground manners are impeccable.

If you got a horse with all that^ you are darn lucky! whatever you ask them to do, be sure that YOU are there to be part of the training process. to be honest, it is YOU that should take advantage of this carte blanche one month window.

let them show YOU how to bridle him, YOU how to get a slower lope, and whatever. this is a great opportunity. Make the most of the chance for you to add to YOUR repertoire of knowledge, so you can bring this lovely horse over to your barn without losing what she does have.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah Ninamebo, I am very lucky I got this offer, I actually wasn't expecting it but they threw it in the deal for free so I am not complaining ;) Thanks Tiny, the people there invited me to go riding with them at any time and I can go out there any day of the week, so I see them and talk to them about the horse frequently, I am also learning more as I ride with them. They also want to start training me for the drill team I mentioned earlier so I am getting some free lessons too :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh, and you had wanted pics, here she is :)
I am a little scared to post this because 1) breed prejudice against appys 2) she looks kind of ragamuffin-y in this pic. :?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Ah, you'll get 'breed prejudice' from some no matter what you've got, but breed prejudice against Appys is just wrong! ;-)

On the 8th day God created horses. On the 9th he painted the good ones!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
oh, and you had wanted pics, here she is :)
I am a little scared to post this because 1) breed prejudice against appys 2) she looks kind of ragamuffin-y in this pic. :?
I've never met an Appy I didn't like. She's a cutie!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
By all means be involved. What an experienced trainer can do with a horse doesn't necessarily mean a less experienced can do. Horses read people with dead accuracy so it knows what to expect from the trainer, and what it can get away with with others.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I'm a Chevy driver as well. She's a very nice looking little horse, winter fuzzies and all LOL.

Appies may not be my cup of tea, but it's not my place to judge others for the horses they have. After all, if we all had the same tastes, the world would be boring as heck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.