Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I currently own a barrel racing saddle but I am thinking of selling or part- exchanging it and getting a reining saddle.
Where I ride everybody says Billie Cook saddles are the best. Are they really?

Thanks for your help,

british_reiner

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
What is your price range?? Are you open to a used saddle??

You can pick up a nice used saddle from about $1000 on up. For the price Saddle Smith saddle are quite nice especially the older ones.

I would stay away from brands like Saddle Y and such. They are the low end of stock saddles and are not that good in comparison to the many of the others.

Bobs are nice but tend to be on the wide side. They are also more of a production saddle until you get into the higher end.

There are so many different ones even with in each brand. If you have access to a trainer who has multiple saddle to try that is the best way to go.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I like billy cook, I own a billy cook barrel racing saddle. Mine was not factoory made. It was specially made for me. It fits my horse nicely, it looks really nice! and it's quite comfortable.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Billy Royal, RS, Rocking R, Billy Cook, Cayuse, JR Wenger, KO Trading, Hubers, Steve Flick, JR Wenger, Kathy's Show Equipment www.ShowHorseSupplies.com, older Circle Y reiners, Pards, Sean Ryon, Roo-Hide, Marty Byrd (Bird?) in Ada Oklahoma, www.lesonsaddles.com, Fronteir , Bandalero Enterprises, Cactus.

All of those have been recommended at on time as reiner / trainer brands to consider.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Billy Cooks are well made wether they are factory made or not. They are definately not junk thats for sure. The billy cook reiners are really nice and comfortable I have found. We ride in Billy Cooks and find they fit everything nicely.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
If that saddle sell for less then $2K it will still be a good deal. Even if you have to pay a couple hundred on shipping.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It costs 150$ to ship to France. I'm going to follow it and see if I can get a bargain :) Its gone up to 610$ with 1 day left. If near the end its at around 1500$ or a bit more i'm going to try and get it. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
It should make you a nice saddle. Looks like it is in good shape and it is an older bobs so it is hand made. There are certain older saddle I really like and the bobs are one of them. Cleborns are anouther. You just have to watch the makers marks on the Cleborns as there are 2 different ones. however both are really nice saddles.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
My trainer has one. Not sure how old it is. It is nice. The only thing that I have found that I do not like about Bobs saddles is that some of them tend to be wide in the seat. However you do not know until you sit in them

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so I have decided against the Bob's saddle but I still need all of your help. I have found a really nice looking 16" smooth seat Mcclellands Saddlery Silver Show Reiner but I don't know anything about Mcclellands saddles. Please help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.