The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this youtube video and I was wondering if anybody had looked into it. The video is kind of vague.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
I'm also curious what others have to say. What I understood from the video is that they cut off the horse's oxygen and blood supply to get this result - am I correct?
When he is working with older horses, he seems to grab hold of a certain area on the horse's withers, I'm assuming from other responses I've seen on the subject that it does the same thing; cutting off blood supply (therefore affecting the nerves) to make them weak in the front.
Of course, these are all guesses from what I've seen and read.
Without knowing the whole truth, my first reaction to this video is "why?"
The person in this video used to post about racehorses with various problems - the TAP seemed to help "cure" them (if you will) and the horse was able to continue racing rather than being sent to the meatworks. I don't understand the need to use this on willing or young (yearling) horses. Of course I could have this all wrong.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I've heard people around talking about it and tried to read, but I never got the point frankly (i've never seen anyone using it "alive"). This video does look sick to me though. Don't think something I wanna try... :?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think in the video it said TAP does not cut off the blood or oxygen supply to the horse. Of course if any man can cut off a horses blood supply with one hand I will call him sir and walk softly around him!

·
Registered
634 Posts
well i watched it not my thing and only guessing but tap is probably short for training something or other i,ve got it[throttling a pony]

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
These people look like idiots to me. I dont want a horse falling down like that anywere near were I am standing. These people are most likely pinching a nerve

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
I did run into this a few times saddling new guys for the first time. As I drew up the girth in steps they would start to go down. I had to move the horse to keep them on their feet. I think he is referring to girthing for the first time cuts off the oxygen and causes the horse to feel weak in the front end.
the last 2 horses I did had this problem at the first saddling and for a few times after that.
I had one go right down years ago but never assosiated it with oxygen being cut off.
A good video and I feel the guy didn't harm the horses in any way.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
These people look like idiots to me. I dont want a horse falling down like that anywere near were I am standing. These people are most likely pinching a nerve
If you have broken young colts, the first few times you might experience this same thing. He is not trying to make the horse go down. It is a reaction to tightening the girth.
In cross ties I moved the horses sideways. I just didn't know what it was but now I do.
The guy was very gentle, safe and I feel he is explaining a phenomina????

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Rio, he IS trying to make the horse go down. That's what the idiotic 'TAP Method' is all about.

Kevin, if you want to know how to learn to make a horse behave forever and ever with just one time using TAP, you'll of course have to BUY Endo's 'method'.

The video is vague on purpose.

I happen to think Endo's a moron.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is definately making them go down. I just couldn't see how he was doing it and I was wondering if anyone had seen him live or bought his download. I am as skeptical as anyone about this and untill I hear a lot more about it I won't be sending him any money.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Essentially, it's all just about laying them down - which we've all known can be a beautiful training method, but yet again, we have some nicompoop numbnut trying to feed off people's insecurities by making it sound like his own personal secret and making you pay ridiculous sums of money for him to basically tell how how to crank a horses head around and pull him off his feet when he's weak.

If you look up different TAP vids on YouTube, it's absolutely no different then any other of numerous methods of laying a horse down. However, I find it ironic that in 90% of the vids I've seen the horses go down tense and flailing and immediately trying to get back up - something you don't see when an old cowboy properly lays down a horse.

Just a bunch of marketed hogwash anyone could learn if they hung around an old trainer for awhile!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Endo has quite a few videos on You Tube and from what I've seen he's not doing 'anything' to the horses at all - there's one where he gets on a horse that keeps rearing all the time and he sorts that out without resorting to anything other than letting him rear, then making him stand still before letting him walk on. He seems to use a similar "don't let them get away with it, and do what they want" technique on horses - without using any signs of force or 'funny business'.

just my 2c...

·
Registered
131 Posts
i haven't seen it before, and i am a little confused. so this is his training method? so like if you take a horse somewhere new and he starts to freak out, you make him "lie down"? And that will calm him down? Im so confused lol

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
dont you guys see him pushing fingers into the front of the shoulder? There is most likely a nerve there and under the leg near the girth area. I rub behind my horses ears to get them to relax. I do it when the chiropractor is out. It releases endorphines which bring a horses head down, but Ive never seen a horse go down at all or react that fast from it. So I am thinking it is causing either numbness or pain.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have never seen this method of training. I have to say I am with JDI on this.
I suppose I would have to investigate more.
The biggest questions I think I have are
1.) what is the purpose (what is this method to accomplish)
2.) Why this way
Interestingly I have seen horses that are "girthy" do this on there own when a girth is tightened. Not just young inexperienced horses but some of various ages.
Just is a bit funky to me.
HP

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Interestingly I have seen horses that are "girthy" do this on there own when a girth is tightened. Not just young inexperienced horses but some of various ages.
Just is a bit funky to me.
HP
I have seen it numerous times. The last 2 I started got really weak in the front end and attempted to go down. Since they were in cross ties I pushed them side to side to get them to take the weight.
He was showing that moving the horse forward when it was attempting to go down produced a horse that lunged forward and upward while turning their head to the side produced a horse that was going down but straight. Also backing them up produced the same thing. Anything is better then moving forward.
Personally it answer a question that I have wondered about in the past.
I think the guy was very good.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Q: Does performing the TAP cut off oxygen supply to the brain? A: Certainly not, medical tests performed by top notch vets show the TAP has nothing to do with oxygen deprivation, nor has it ever been implied that the TAP works this way. It's a rumour with no truth whatsoever to it.
Q: Does performing the TAP pinch the nerves? A: No, the TAP has nothing to do with the skeletal make up of the horse.
I do not know much about how the TAP works, however I have watched most of his youtube videos and learned that he trains thoroughbred racehorses. These horses are started young and their training is done quickly. In order to help the horse be more compliant with the training, he performs the tap(laying the horse down where it feels most vulnerable so that when it gets back up it will be more submissive and relaxed) He uses this method because it is quick and it works! Obviously he doesn't have weeks to work with these horses. In a couple of videos he even says that it should NEVER take the place of 'actual' training. It should never take the place of consistent work but in his situation if he wants to complete his job quickly and with the least stress possible to the horse, this is how he does it.

Hope I helped! :D

Here is his website: http://www.hybrid-horseman.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Kevinshorses - it's supposed to be "vague" he (Paul Williamson) wants you to buy the method. It's the same as laying a horse down. Here's a video of someone who had problems with it and you'll see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.