Not open for further replies.

what is this on horses leg??

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  walkinthewalk 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Terminology forget...
I believe it is a part of the third toe of evolution that "disappeared" yet has a slight remaining visible on some impact...
Kind of like the chestnut found on the inside of many horses legs, it is un-needed.
When these are soft and small I peel away the offending part so it not get caught on anything and be pulled away and cause pain, blood or a path for infection...
They twist easily off, just caution you not go to close to the horse itself as there are nerves at the skin.
Ugly they are...easy to take care of.
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

#3 ·
That is called the ergot.

As HLG commented, it is the same consistency as the chestnuts.

Like the chestnuts, some horses grow ergots to the point they need removed, other horses do not.

After carefully removing ergoTs and chestnuts, I always generously rub mineral oil on the remainder to help tHe leg keep from itching.

If you cannot 200% trust your horse to not kick you in the head while you remove the excess ergot, just leave it alone. Your farrier should know how to quickly nip the excess off.

If you notice your horse biting at it, that means it itches and you can soak it with mineral oil:)

#6 ·
I've seen them get as long as your hand on some drafts. They get trimmed every time their hooves do. Easy enough to do if you can see the entire area. Ours get irritated with you if you try to twist them off so trimming them it is.

#7 ·
They're more common in drafts and draft crosses than in other breed
I use a pair of garden secateurs to cut them off - much less risk of causing damage to the flesh than twisting and pulling at them as they are 'attached'

#11 ·
Yes, Ergots are on all horses.

I have only had one horse that I have to keep them cut and it's only the ones on his back legs. He is a Tennessee Walker and is still with me.

@jaydee what IS that garden tool do you use, lollol. I use the hoof nippers all the time, if there is something safer and faster, I'm all for it:pinkunicorn:

#12 ·
Yes, Ergots are on all horses.

I have only had one horse that I have to keep them cut and it's only the ones on his back legs. He is a Tennessee Walker and is still with me.

@jaydee what IS that garden tool do you use, lollol. I use the hoof nippers all the time, if there is something safer and faster, I'm all for it:pinkunicorn:
Something like this in this link - sorry I'm too idle to go out to the barn to photograph them!!
Gardena Classic Vine Bypass Pruner - Page 1 ? QVC.com
Only our clyde X and the Irish draft grow them
I used to use hoof nippers but the garden pruners are shorter so easier to use in that area

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.