The Horse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hair coming out on back of leg below knee. Skin is rough scaley somewhat itchy. Here's a picture from today. I just noticed it today.
Grey Natural material Liver Whiskers Snout

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Don’t know Rambo but start treating him today (twice a day) with Animal Legends Tea Tree Ade. That stuff clears up everything.
You can get it at Tractor Supply or Family Farm and home.
I used it on Angelina. I use it on my cats . I use it on myself!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Could be mud fever/rain rot.

You could also consider Mallanders ( Mallanders and Sallanders) Mallanders because it's on his front leg. Appears as itchy scaly skin but can crack to let infection in. Over production of keratin - hyperkeratosis.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can rain rot an mud fever be a thing in winter?? We are buried in 2 feet of snow an well below freezing. There's no mud hasn't been for months.

Only one leg effected so far. I thought rain rot effected hindquarters & back. He has nothing like this anywhere else on him. I took off his blankets an checked.

How do I treat it @BethR suggested Animal legends tea tree ADE. Looked it up looks like a good option.

It's not raw no pus, just lumpy scaly hair has come off where it is.

@Knave if it can happen it will happen to ice. I've never seen anything like this before it's a new one for me

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I had bad rain rot/mud fever last winter.

Chico got the weird hair loss-scaley thing on his chin last year while he had regular looking rain rot (scabs) on his back. Vet at Anoka Equine told me just to pick the scabs so I did and rubbed off the scales on his chin and it cleared up after a week or two.

·
Registered
9,880 Posts
Is that the same leg you've been bandaging? If it is it could be the start of a pressure sore or just minor irritation from the bandage.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The scaly stuff comes off but skin is lumpy like. Never have seen rain rot that looked like this does.

@JCnGrace I quit wrapping his leg back in December, leg with skin issue is other leg. Got to cold to mess with it, actually the deep snow has help reduce swelling. Currently almost no swelling at all an he's sound.

Haven't done anything with the tendon injury now for over a month. Had 2 PEMF sessions early December. That was last of doing anything for his tendon injury.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Even though Ice is the wrong breed, I agree with @Caledonian on the hyperkeratosis theory.

If our beloved Foxhunter were still here, she would suggest putting some Neem oil on that.

Here’s Equiderma’s link. They have a shampoo with Neem in it but it may not be strong enough Neem.

My theory is that Ice’s immune system may no longer be strong enough to fight stuff like this.

We should start a club for “Special Needs Horses Only” and the money they cost us. We could all probably meet up on an Alaskan Cruise for the money we’ve spent in the last five or less years😳🤯

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I do have equiderma lotion so I put it on his leg earlier rubbed it in good. In the past it hasn't worked for ice. Agree about the immune system very well could be not up to par.

He's already had a snotty nose an cough not to long ago. Working at a boarding barn possible I bring stuff home. Even though horses there seem healthy.

His legs have quite long feathery hair. Only part of him that gets that much winter hair. Plus hair always seems to have ice balls in it.

Maybe I should clip his legs ? Shorter hair might be better ,like the hair on his neck.
Skin Jeans Finger Mammal Comfort

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
I keep my horses lower leg hair and their jowel hair clipped back. I was going to suggest clipping his leg hair but didn’t because you live in a much colder winter environment than I do.

That means I might clip the hair back, surrounding the outbreaks, but I wouldn’t cut too close to the skin for fear of frostbite to the skin. Ice stands in deep snow, my horses barely know what snow is but that may change after the storm that is rolling in this weekend😳

If you do, use scissors, instead of the clippers:). Easier to control the lengths:)

Reactions: rambo99 and BethR

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
One last note, Rambo: the Tea Tree Ade works on fungal infections, bacterial infections, and helps stimulate hair growth.
I had a damaged big toenail that I believed had developed a plaque fungal growth on it. Applied the product; it was literally gone the next day.
My dark grey cat gets bald-ish spots between his eyes and ears every shedding season. I apply the product three days in a row and that hair grows back before you can say Jack Robinson.
I could do a commercial…lol.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@BethR have a friend who's going to pickup a jar of the tea tree ADE today.

Equiderma does absolutely nothing for any skin issues on ice. There's a lot of people who love the stuff. But it doesn't work at all for my horse.

I'm going to clip his legs today so not so much long hair on them. Have a blade that leaves hair a bit longer so his legs won't be clipped too short.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
@BethR have a friend who's going to pickup a jar of the tea tree ADE today.

Equiderma does absolutely nothing for any skin issues on ice. There's a lot of people who love the stuff. But it doesn't work at all for my horse.

I'm going to clip his legs today so not so much long hair on them. Have a blade that leaves hair a bit longer so his legs won't be clipped too short.
Rambo please let us know how it works on Ice!

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rambo please let us know how it works on Ice!
I sure will.. I put it on his leg late afternoon. Will be going out here at 8pm, to do his ulcer meds an will put more tea tree Ade on leg.

Got his legs clipped so a lot less hair his legs are staying drier now. Think that was maybe part of why he got that crud.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I've had rain rot in dry, icy weather. It usually is in wet periods because the constant wetness causes maceration where bacteria can enter and infect the skin. The damp also promotes the bacteria growth.

But I've had ice break down the skin in the same way on the legs, because of it being sharp and abrasive to the skin. Snow is usually too dry and soft, but ice can do it.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Been putting the tee tree Ade on his leg twice a day. Looks like it's almost healed up now. Will definitely keep the tee tree Ade on hand it's well worth having. Thank you @BethR

The equiderma I'll give to my friend she swears by it. It's never worked on my horses can treat skin issues, for literally weeks with no improvement.

I suppose it was rain rot very possible his legs were wet there for a time. Snow being powdery depends on temps if in teens an below zero yes powdery. If it gets into mid 30s it get wet heavy. Good snowball making weather.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts