The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short.. Horse has been lame for 3 almost 4 months, original diagnosis/cause of lameness was stone bruises. However, after a few days of magic cushion, this happens? What is this-abscesses? Apt. has been made with the vet, and farrier.. just looking to get some more opinions on this. This is the right front.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think shes pointing out what might be pus like fluid, I can only really see it in the last photo. That a lot of bruising, poor fellow. However I don't see bruising taking three to four months to heal! I would use a different vet than the one that told you stone bruising, did you tell them it had been three to four months? Wow. Theres some great hoof people here so hang in and wait =) Surely someone will see something I can't. In your situation I'd have the farrier out ASAP

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes.. The part I am questioning is the thing that looks pus filled. The vet does know it has been 3/4 months of lameness. The horse is scheduled to be x-rayed in a week to rule out navicular or any rotation.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I would be very worried about that hoof and get x-rays as soon as possible. There is bruising on the frog and heels in the digital cushion area. Possibly the toe is so painful from laminitis the horse is having to put all the weight on the frog and heels, causing the bruising. Other possibilities are rotation of the coffin bone, or even hoof canker or a subsolar abscess (underneath the sole). How does the rest of the hoof look?

·
Registered
654 Posts
put your finger in that stuff if you think it's puss, much easier to tell that way than in a picture, can't really tell in the pic if it's a liquid or just how the bottom of the hoof is.

I work on cow hooves, leave the horse hooves to my farrier but I would be guessing lameness of 3-4 months you are probably dealing with a lamnintis issue which could potentially set you up for an abcess but i wouldn't guess an abscess has been brewing for that length of time. I would talk to the farrier & vet and see about doing a soak if you are concerned about an abcess, may pop it out a bit better and make farrier/vet's job easier

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Got a better look at the pus looking stuff. It is hard and dry, fell off with the brush of the hoof pick (I did not pick it it, just brushed around and over it to be able to see it better.) There is no blood or visible hole where it was
Also, not sure if this makes a difference but she is more sore on some days than others. The lameness seems to come and go, varies in intensity

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
I hate autocorrect:( :(

When the vet comes, might as well ask him about the possibility of Lymes and pay for a blood test. On/off lameness is one of the signs.

I do see bruising on the heels. The hooves may have more than one thing going on so getting the vet out is the right decision:)

It would be great if your farrier could be there at the same time, if possible:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will ask about Lyme disease, didn't think about that. could some of the bruising be from a horrible shoeing job by a previous farrier 10 weeks ago? He put on shoes that were too small and not shaped to her feet, putting pressure on the bars sole and heel. The vet pulled those shoes, had current farrier put on a different pair of shoes, lameness got worse and it has been on off since then

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, some of the lameness could be from a poor farrier job. Her hooves need really a good trim by a farrier who knows how to map the hoof to the underlying bone structure and trim the hoof to be balanced. There appears to be a lot of dead sole that needs to be cleaned up.

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
Can you take better pictures=ones that aren't partly cut off, and also side view.?
The heels appear very contracted to me, and the frog looks thrushy. Have you used thrush buster on it, as I seem to see some purple
The sole and white line is hard to see clearly, and agood scrub would help. It appears that the WL might be stretched, and is there small pieces of gravel imbedded?
iT is very difficult to actually see the frog buttress and the wall definition at the back of the foot

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
The whole back of the foot looks, well, wierd. It seems the collateral grove has no possible exit, and the whole seat of corn filled in one one heel in particular.
Yes, you need a good trimmer to carefully find those landmarks, esp starting at the heels
If the heels are really as they appear in those pictures, I am not surprised that she is lame!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hope the little guy will be okay.. ):
make a call to many vets you can reach just to listen to what they have to say about it/what they think it is.
some of them maybe give you free advice on what to do for making the hoese alot more comfortable..

·
Super Moderator
23,204 Posts
Need better pics/angles to be sure (check out link in my signature line) but appears base of foot - sole and frog is very thin, sole looks flat. Foot is quite 'stretched', i imagine flared. Bruising is not THE problem, but rather one symptom of the overall state.

So the horse has had pads for months now? Shod or booted? For work or all the time? Needs some good farriery - check out elpo website - but yes, will also need protection/support to prevent further bruising & other probs until feet can become healthier.

·
Super Moderator
23,204 Posts
Oh, rads wont rule out 'navicular', just whether its progressed to bony changes. Ensure hooves are marked with radiolucent tape/material, before xrays, at hairline, dorsal wall and apex of frog at least. Id also request toe sole (forward from apex) be marked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.