The Horse Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
My dream horse is super cowy. Athletic as all get out, and fast, but without the downside to that temperament. So, although she would be ready for any bad idea I had, and 100% on board and capable, she would not be nervous or spooky, and easily able to come down and chill. She would be perfectly calm and strong on the end of a rope.

She would have a good personality too. Friendly and happy, and maybe a little trouble making.

Of course she would be sound always too.
That's mine too, lol!
I'd just love to have some sort of roan.

Something like these:
Horse Working animal Tree Grass Fence

Horse Sky Liver Tree Horse supplies

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
@lovetolope I never did like roans, but I seem to a lot more these days. I don’t know if it’s because some bloodlines that are pretty talented are throwing all those roans, or that they are in fashion, or what, but they appeal to me a lot more now.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
An Arab/Quarter horse mare that is cowy, honest, and surefooted and makes all the "quarter horse gelding ONLY" people really, really mad. 😆 This critter would end up being my soulmate I think. The dam would be a big and sturdy all around ranch mare and the sire would be a steady and strong Arabian that is a proven cutting or working cow horse that has sired beautiful half-Arab foals. I would die to own this animal. This would be my dream horse. Duns (red duns <3), or dark chestnuts are my favorite but that's not a deal breaker. Around 15hh, not a lot of white. The perfect ranch horse. Shoot off her, work cows, ride for hours and hours, climb bad trails, cross water, rope and throw calves, pack off her, and do speed events on the side for fun.

Why not just get a QH that can do these things? I love the mind of the Arabs. And the added fire and endurance, plus a long graceful stride, is wonderful too. They're (good ones) so intelligent and observant and wise, everything that a horse should be. They are the original horse. They don't just do what they're told and it takes a lot of work to form a relationship with one, but if you do, it's like being friends with another human. They just function on a completely different level. They are the lords of horses for a reason and they're very aware of their royalty.

I'm always one for buying a horse on the ground but since this isn't a common horse to find hanging around I may have to try and breed for this horse. I will most likely find the perfect broodmare and then AI from a really nice stud, but I'm gonna wait till I have the best situation. I want to own/ride/work the dam as she's gonna have to prove she's amazing before I breed her. I want this horse to be raised and trained on a working ranch. So a lot of things need to happen before I get this horse but we shall see.

And if I do own the dam and she does throw my dream foal, I'd like to have a filly and a colt from her. Dream horse x2! What I'd love to do is breed some amazing working Quarabs and make a name for them in the ranching world but that's real far fetched. Arabs/half Arabs tend to be one person horses and ranch horses need to not be that particular.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I looove shire horses, but I think they’re a bit big for me! 😂 heavy horses are just so majestic, with such a great history!

P.s would you mind checking out my post and seeing if you could help me out? Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine is out back, a late 20 something gaited gelding of unknown breeding. I call him a Rocky Mountain Horse but really don't know for sure. To be any better he'd be younger, a little taller, and maybe a more distinctive color. Despite these "deficiencies" he's done everything I've asked him to do to the best of his abilities. I always thought I wanted a black TWH and got to buy a striking jet black mare. This mare was black as black could be and never faded. She had a wonderful smooth running walk when you could motivate her to do it but it took a lot of work to get her to do anything more than a walk. She just wasn't a fun ride. My horse reminds me that a good horse isn't a bad color and that you can't ride papers.

I've been thinking the day when my gelding retires or even passes on that it's going to be real hard to find his replacement.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
1,431 Posts
Speaking as a breeder, the horse of my dreams would be one that I bred myself. I love the High Brow Cats. If I couldn't breed to my own stallion, there are several sons of Cat that i would in a heartbeat. Metallic Cat being one. To have a daughter of Metallic Cat, oh it opens soooo many possibilities!

I have always loved Miss'N Cash. Maybe take a Miss"N Cash daughter and breed to Metallic Cat. Now thats one to think on!

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
I had my Dream horse. She was all business at competitions, carrying me through many 100s and to multiple top 10 finishes:
Water Helmet Recreation Lake Personal protective equipment

Horse Plant Working animal Bit Horse tack

Yet she was chill enough to hack around bareback or act as my pony horse. She never said no to anything I asked of her:
Horse Helmet Sky Equestrian helmet Tree

I was there when she took her first breath and was holding her head for her last. She's buried in the back yard. I can only hope someday I find another even close to what she was..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I looove shire horses, but I think they’re a bit big for me! 😂 heavy horses are just so majestic, with such a great history!

P.s would you mind checking out my post and seeing if you could help me out? Thanks!
Sure no promblem!

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
Honestly I think my Pony is my dream horse.

He's smart, funny, a little naughty, super friendly, happy, confident, and willing. He tends to think rather than react. He's not bombproof, but once you explain to him that a particular object is nothing to worry about, then he's fine about it. And he understands that very quickly.

He's wonderful to ride (after a year in training LOL). He's probably about a 5.5. on the "whoa vs go" scale in the arena, more like a 6 in the field. He will jump anything I point him at and has never stopped, ducked out, or otherwise given me any issues over jumps, which has been a real confidence builder. He's fun to teach tricks to and I've been working on teaching him to pull things. I have jousted off of him! He's cute, which doesn't hurt at all, of course. He loves to make me laugh (because he knows that me laughing probably equals him getting a treat). We're working on trail riding now, and I have no doubt that with some more experience he will be a great trail horse. We've also been working on riding with just a neck rope, and he's great with that also.

He's only 13'2 hh, so there's less distance between me and the ground when I fall (which I haven't in a while). He's super cute. He does what I ask, but he needs to be asked, not told; and he needs someone to be understanding and willing to listen to him. As long as he thinks he's being treated fairly, he's perfect. And why would I want a horse that would take abuse and still keep trying? Well, I actually have one of those too, LOL. I like it that Pony has an opinion.

I've had him for four years, and he's only eight and a half. Ponies are supposed to live a long time. So hopefully he will be with me a long, long time.

The only thing I really don't like about him is that he tends to be fat, and I have to stay on top of his diet, exercise, and hooves, and I really need to get his insulin levels checked also. And he's super hard to fit for a saddle because of his shape.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honestly I think my Pony is my dream horse.

He's smart, funny, a little naughty, super friendly, happy, confident, and willing. He tends to think rather than react. He's not bombproof, but once you explain to him that a particular object is nothing to worry about, then he's fine about it. And he understands that very quickly.

He's wonderful to ride (after a year in training LOL). He's probably about a 5.5. on the "whoa vs go" scale in the arena, more like a 6 in the field. He will jump anything I point him at and has never stopped, ducked out, or otherwise given me any issues over jumps, which has been a real confidence builder. He's fun to teach tricks to and I've been working on teaching him to pull things. I have jousted off of him! He's cute, which doesn't hurt at all, of course. He loves to make me laugh (because he knows that me laughing probably equals him getting a treat). We're working on trail riding now, and I have no doubt that with some more experience he will be a great trail horse. We've also been working on riding with just a neck rope, and he's great with that also.

He's only 13'2 hh, so there's less distance between me and the ground when I fall (which I haven't in a while). He's super cute. He does what I ask, but he needs to be asked, not told; and he needs someone to be understanding and willing to listen to him. As long as he thinks he's being treated fairly, he's perfect. And why would I want a horse that would take abuse and still keep trying? Well, I actually have one of those too, LOL. I like it that Pony has an opinion.

I've had him for four years, and he's only eight and a half. Ponies are supposed to live a long time. So hopefully he will be with me a long, long time.

The only thing I really don't like about him is that he tends to be fat, and I have to stay on top of his diet, exercise, and hooves, and I really need to get his insulin levels checked also. And he's super hard to fit for a saddle because of his shape.

·
Registered
389 Posts

^My dream horse…2002 APHA gelding Scamper on Skipper AKA Skip.

I’ve spent the last 10 or so years trying to find another paint who measures up to the relationship I have with Skip as well as his temperament and general “teachability” and haven’t found one yet. I’m just starting my 16th year of riding rodeo drill team with Skip…we’ll keep riding as long as we are both physically able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 41 Posts