Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

We have 3 horses that all prefer the same bit. We usually all ride together so I need to find a couple more. I wanted to see if I could get the same one I have, but I can't find any mark on it but a star on the mouthpiece. Does anyone have any idea what brand it is? Or a bit very similar that is cheaper than a Myler?

20190324_171650.jpg

20190324_171526.jpg

20190324_171545.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Looks like a Myler Eggbut snaffle to me. Here's something similar.

https://www.statelinetack.com/item/western-ss-mullen-copper-roller-d-ring-bit/E008425/

You could try a mullen mouth bit, which would be similar to how this one works. The one you have has more flexibility in the middle but the difference might not be that much. See if you can borrow one from somebody and try it.

https://www.chicksaddlery.com/centaur-professional-d-barrel-mullen-mouth This one looks quite similar. Going to have a bit more leverage but not much. It's not cheap but it's not nearly as costly as a Myler.

·
Super Moderator
12,664 Posts
Myler bits that are custom have Myler engraved in the bit. Those that are not custom and can be found off the shelf have Toklat engraved on one side and Myler on the other.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
The early Toklat/Myler buys were marked just with the Toklat stamp, later with Myler.
If it is not marked at all, years ago, Horseloverz sold some China made Myler look alikes. The ones I have are a bit lighter than a true Toklat/Myler. One of them being a Billy Allen. A true Billy Allen has shanks, it was meant to be a transition from the snaffle to the curb/shanked bit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the quick replies!

At first I thought it was a Myler but it has no stamp. If you look really closely, there is a star printed/stamped on the mouthpiece, right in the center.
I will see if I can borrow some. The one horse has gone in a mullen mouth pelham, so maybe a mullen would work.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Be careful with it if it doesn't have the stamp. The knock-offs vary in quality. Saw a bad wreck at a show last summer when a no-name Myler broke during a hunter class and the horse hit a fence, dumped the rider, and was injured trying to jump the arena fence and bleachers. Nothing untoward happened to warrant the break-- the horse was cantering toward a fence and the bit just broke and fell out of his mouth. I've heard of a few other instances of them breaking, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.