The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things that are specific to reining (not harsh bits, overuse of spurs, starting horses too early, etc).

I decided I wanted to do reining because a) it looks fun, and b) it looks much more natural and humane than most other disciplines. But I'm not that educated in the matter... I've boarded at a reining barn for the past year, but I've never even gone to a reining show or visited another barn. I've been taking lessons on finished reiners for the past few months, while simultaneously taking lessons on my mare to get her started in reining. I've done everything with her training up until this point, but my trainer is going to start training her himself in March.

But anyway... Is reining actually as humane as it looks?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
it used to be pretty bad but now they have certain rules. no harsh bits after your ride you have to present yourself to the judge and take out your horses bit to show that it is one of the legal ones. and you are working on your horses natural movements.

overall it really is more human than many other disiplines.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it used to be pretty bad but now they have certain rules. no harsh bits after your ride you have to present yourself to the judge and take out your horses bit to show that it is one of the legal ones. and you are working on your horses natural movements.

overall it really is more human than many other disiplines.

Cool, thanks for replying : ]

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard it can break them down over time especially if they are too big for it. Wether thats true or not I dont know.
That makes sense, and probably has a lot to do with them being started so young.

What do you think "too big" is? My mare's 15hh, which I know is on the large side for a reiner.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i dont think 15 hh is too big to be a reiner. ive never done reining but id love to try it! it looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
I think "abuse" reates to all disciplines of the Equestrian World - the question is, what kind of a person are you, and are you willing to put you or the ribbon/trophy before your horses wellbeing?

If you are someone who puts your horse first, then there wont be a problem :) Unfortunately, there are far too many who put winning first and use their horses as an object, not a living creature that it is.

Horses break down due to conformation not compatable for the sport they are being asked to do, all the time - regardless if it is Jumping, Eventing, Dressage, Reining, Barrels, WP and the list goes on - riders have to be educated on that matter, and listen to their horses when they say "I can't do this"

Cloud, you seem to be a big hearted, careing person for those around you and your horses - I don't think there would be a problem, if you want to venture into this sport, then do so - you are intelligent and strong enough of a person to defend your horse, yourself and your horses rights.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think "abuse" reates to all disciplines of the Equestrian World - the question is, what kind of a person are you, and are you willing to put you or the ribbon/trophy before your horses wellbeing?

If you are someone who puts your horse first, then there wont be a problem :) Unfortunately, there are far too many who put winning first and use their horses as an object, not a living creature that it is.

Horses break down due to conformation not compatable for the sport they are being asked to do, all the time - regardless if it is Jumping, Eventing, Dressage, Reining, Barrels, WP and the list goes on - riders have to be educated on that matter, and listen to their horses when they say "I can't do this"

Cloud, you seem to be a big hearted, careing person for those around you and your horses - I don't think there would be a problem, if you want to venture into this sport, then do so - you are intelligent and strong enough of a person to defend your horse, yourself and your horses rights.

Thank you : ]

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I agree with MIEventer. You seem to be the type of owner who does not believe that the few minutes of suffering is necessary to win your prizes, you seem to genuinely care about your horse and want to try something fun and challenging. I think you guys would be great in reining.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree with MIEventer. You seem to be the type of owner who does not believe that the few minutes of suffering is necessary to win your prizes, you seem to genuinely care about your horse and want to try something fun and challenging. I think you guys would be great in reining.
Thanks! I definitely care about her. She's been a happy trail horse for her first two and a half years under saddle, and if she doesn't like reining we won't do it anymore. I'm not doing it to win the NRHA championship - I just want to try something new.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
I think every discipline has it problems. When you are talking reining then you are talking NRHA. With in NRHA there are VERY Strict rules about what goes on at shows. One if you are caught abusing your horses then WILL suspend you. Some of the biggest names in NRHA have been suspended at times. Dose not matter who you are. EVERY class is filmed.

At the end of each run you MUST drop bit to the bit judge this is not only to see if the bit is legal but also to make sure you have not marked your horses mouth. They also will walk ALL the way around your horse lift stirrups and tails. If there is so much as a scratch on your horse you are DQ right there analthen.

I have lost over $1000 in prize money in both NRHA and NRCHA b/c my horse has been marked and by marked I mean a scratch that took 3 judges about 10 min to decide on.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think every discipline has it problems. When you are talking reining then you are talking NRHA. With in NRHA there are VERY Strict rules about what goes on at shows. One if you are caught abusing your horses then WILL suspend you. Some of the biggest names in NRHA have been suspended at times. Dose not matter who you are. EVERY class is filmed.

At the end of each run you MUST drop bit to the bit judge this is not only to see if the bit is legal but also to make sure you have not marked your horses mouth. They also will walk ALL the way around your horse lift stirrups and tails. If there is so much as a scratch on your horse you are DQ right there analthen.

I have lost over $1000 in prize money in both NRHA and NRCHA b/c my horse has been marked and by marked I mean a scratch that took 3 judges about 10 min to decide on.
Wow, really? So if your horse gets an injury in the pasture a couple days before the show (and your vet tells you it's perfectly fine to show him), you could be DQd?

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Pssht, Nelson would be a FAIL then in Reining - he plays alot with the other horses and ends up coming in for dinner looking like a cat scratch toy. Bite marks here, no hair there.

Seems sorta "extreme" if you know what I mean - I am all for protecting horses and punnishing those who put themselves first and their horses last to win - but if your horse has natural marks from being out in pasture or due to their stupidity and get DQ'd for that, seems unfair.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Well if they think it is from your spurs or bit then yes. If you have a injury from something unrelated to training or showing the horse and you have a vet note stating he is fine to show and you present it to the show secretary when you register you should have no problem. NRHA is quite strict when it comes to marking of a horse with spurs or bits. If say your horse clipped his leg in the pattern that would not get you DQ as that is not something YOU did to the horse.

The idea is to keep riders from using rock grinders to get their horse to spin faster stop hard with pulling on a harsher bit and so on. Really sucks when you have a light skinned horse. They seem to mark easier then darker horses.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I think it is great they think so highly of the horses welfare. That is an organization I would be proud to be a part of. Though I bet it does suck to be DQed over a little scratch you did not do..but all for the greater good....

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
No if they DO you you marked the horse although maybe nothing more then a scratch.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The trainer I sent my horse to is a reining trainer. They are fairly competitive. All the horses in the barn have good attitudes. However they train seems to agree with the horses.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if they think it is from your spurs or bit then yes. If you have a injury from something unrelated to training or showing the horse and you have a vet note stating he is fine to show and you present it to the show secretary when you register you should have no problem. NRHA is quite strict when it comes to marking of a horse with spurs or bits. If say your horse clipped his leg in the pattern that would not get you DQ as that is not something YOU did to the horse.

The idea is to keep riders from using rock grinders to get their horse to spin faster stop hard with pulling on a harsher bit and so on. Really sucks when you have a light skinned horse. They seem to mark easier then darker horses.
Oh, that's great, then.

Why do they lift tails, though?

Do they have restrictions on the type of protective boots you can use in the show ring?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it is great they think so highly of the horses welfare. That is an organization I would be proud to be a part of. Though I bet it does suck to be DQed over a little scratch you did not do..but all for the greater good....
I agree. The TWHBEA should take some notes from them.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Well said. There are reasons why some breeds excel in their sport, so if you want to compete on a large scale, choose the right breed and confirmation. Almost any horse can learn reining, but if you push the wrong horse too hard you could do damage.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.