The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new Tough 1 All Purpose Black English saddle and i cant wait till It gets here. I was wondering what kind of bit i can use for my TB ¨Pig¨ Hes my 15 year old 16hh Bay Gelding.

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
What is the mouthpiece of the bit you are using now?
Get a "English" one the same mouthpiece as he is accustomed to and works we
Many people use English bits on a western tacked horse, but not a western bit on a English tacked horse..
What is important is the mouthpiece and the horses comfort that allows communication to be quiet, with as little pressure applied to the mouth as possible.

Enjoy your new saddle and tack. :smile:
:runninghorse2:....

·
Banned
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is the mouthpiece of the bit you are using now?
Get a "English" one the same mouthpiece as he is accustomed to and works we
Many people use English bits on a western tacked horse, but not a western bit on a English tacked horse..
What is important is the mouthpiece and the horses comfort that allows communication to be quiet, with as little pressure applied to the mouth as possible.

Enjoy your new saddle and tack. :smile:
:runninghorse2:....
im using O- ring snaffle bit but its too small for him so im using a hackamore right now

·
Super Moderator
14,695 Posts
Both of those items are available "English" and in appropriate sizes...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Banned
45 Posts
I just bought a brand new Tough 1 All Purpose Black English saddle and i cant wait till It gets here. I was wondering what kind of bit i can use for my TB ¨Pig¨ Hes my 15 year old 16hh Bay Gelding.

I would definitely recommend an eggbutt as those are very simple but they work really well. They are also not very harsh.

I would also recommend a D-Ring Snaffle. They look really nice on basically every horse (although that’s not the point lol) and they are also not very harsh and work well.

I wouldn’t recommend something thin, flimsy, or something very large. For learning, I would stick with simple bits.

Hope I helped!

·
Registered
49,418 Posts
if you use an O ring, it's important that it not be too small. of course that's important for all bits, but more so for the O ring.

I like eggbutt snaffles. But, it depends on your horse. Some like a loose ring, and some like a more solid bit.

Is he heavy on the bit? a 'leaner'?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have racehorses (which I guess carries on to english) so you can decide to take my two cents or not. For younger horses, we use sold O-rings with bit guards. For a horse that is stronger, we use a plain eggbutt and transition to a half cheek. Like I said, you can decide to take my advice or not, but I seem to have similar responses to others. Also, is he an ottb?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.