Votes: 1 1.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many times the people who post on a horse forum are having some sort of problem with their horse. I was wondering how many of us don't have any problems.
I feel fortunate that I have a sweet girl who tolerates me, and her daughter who I believe will follow in being a good ride.
I never have to do any pre-ride lunging and do little more than a few stretches before we head down the trail. She is a saddle up and go sort of horse. What kind do you have?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Compared to how Oakey used to ride, he's awesome. But he still has the occasional rebellious streak...

Me: "Let's get going, Oakey."
Oakey: "I'm not going anywhere. I'd rather just stand here and gaze off into the horizon..."
Me: "Umm... How 'bout you listen to me. Let' get going!"

Minus almost always starting off with that little argument, Oakey will do anything I ask him to without a problem.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I am a bit of a perfectionist in that respect and I demand that all my horses be willing to just saddle and go with no misbehavior. I am more forgiving of a green horse because it isn't quite engrained yet but any other, acting loopy or humped up is completely unacceptable. I don't mind if they are a bit more forward when I first get on but I had better not have to do any correction because of it. If so, they will be so tired at the end of the day, they just want to lay down and go to sleep. LOL. I am proud of the fact that any one of my trained horses can be turned out for months with no handling and if I need them, I can just catch them, throw the saddle up there, climb on, and go.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well my two are usually ok

Sometimes they do try and test you to see if you'll let them off, like every few months Lottie will keep moving around once I try to get on. But I just shorten my reins then she's as good as gold :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I selected "saddle up and go".. but this is pretty subjective for me lol. I expect my horse to listen and behave, and work accordingly... no matter what our routine is. I have stretches for him as well, that we do before and after our rides. It really depends on the day though what our "starting" routine is. Generally, we tack up and go start our warm up and then work, or whatever our plan is for that day. Depending on the day though, some days I just don't have enough time to do alot of the things I need to with Vinny... he needs to keep in shape for the days that we do have works though, so when I don't have time to get a really good ride in, I will lunge lightly first to get him in the working mind frame quickly, rather than doing a lengthy warm up as we usually do. Or I may lunge first if he's sat out in the feild for a few weeks or something.

This is usually to get him back into the working mind frame though, or to let him get out his "Silly's" before we head out.. it's not because he's too hot and I need him to be worn out before I get on. He's pretty laid back and has great manners. He's young, and we usually work pretty hard to get him forward.. so when he's feeling good and wants to go, I'm usually excited to get going lmao.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Well I didn't pick because none of these really suit me lol I do my pre riding checks of sorts on the ground just to make sure they are in a good frame of mind to be ridden because if I can have an off day why can't my horse and I like to know before I get on if he/she is having an off day if they are having an off day I still get on just try to take it easy on them so I suppose I don't fit in a catigeory lol and I can't spell lol

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I voted for "lunging before getting on".

I only have to lunge one horse before getting on. the others are great with me just hopping on and going.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I never have to do any pre-ride lunging and do little more than a few stretches before we head down the trail. She is a saddle up and go sort of horse. What kind do you have?
We're lucky, too...our 3 Paint mares are all saddle-up-and-go girls.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i occasionally will lunge my mare before i get on. if im in a new place or she just seems a bit 'up' [to get her in a working frame of mine, NOT to lunge the bucks out !!]. i do not usually lunge though

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
My horse is still green and in training but she's quiet. 90% of the time, I just saddle up and hop on but every now and then my sister-in-law will tell me she's been a bit hyper that day so lets lunge her and after about 3 laps in both directions of my horse going as slooooooow as possible she says, never mind just go get on.

She's green so she'll act up, but her "acting up" consists of hmm... lets trot without being asked (a realy sloooooow and easy to stop trot at that) or what happens if I ignore your leg, or what happens if I refuse to bend and try to cut all the corners or snatch the bit and YANK. So she's got her problems that we are working on but nothing that's even remotely dangerous.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just get on and go with both Starlite and Dream. Dream is never a problem unless of course Starlite isn't around (herd bound) and Starlite is a little hot (but nothing how she used to be). The only time I lunge Starlite before riding is if I have a new saddle on her or bit in her mouth because I want her to get used to it without pressure on it first. Starlite sometimes needs a few circles here and there to remind her she needs to WALK. I never worry when I get on her though, I can't remember the last time I worried getting on a horse (but that could be a very bad thing...) LOL

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I put that I worry under saddle that my horse will act up. I'm a somewhat timid rider, with a pretty high level of self-preservation, and I often remind myself to relax if I get tense or nervous. My fears are unfounded, and Scout has never given me a reason yet to be tense or nervous... it's just me, and I'm constantly working on that, and gaining confidence. The worst is coming back from an extended break in riding (i.e. Winter :p), I generally have a flood of "what if?" thoughts.

If it's been more than a week off or if the situation/horse's behavior merits it, I typically lunge or do groundwork for a few minutes to pre-flight check my stop, go, and turn from the ground. Once I'm in the saddle and moving, I'm focused enough that I can just ride, no worries. Scout in a consistent work schedule I get on and go.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If a horse seems frantic or the weather is bad, then I will lunge him to get him calm and paying attention to me. However, most of the time I just get on and walk on a long rein. I voted for "get on and go" because that's the closest choice.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I voted "lunge before getting on" just because I often do lunge since I don't have a ton of time to ride. I generally like to just get down to business when I get on but Lacey likes to muck around, being silly, if I just get on, which is fine if I have time but when I don't have time I lunge. This summer I'm going to try to work on that but for now, lunging is the way to go.
She's not dangerous or anything, she just wants to go as soon as I get on. I also REALLY like how she moves and I can't watch her move from the saddle! Heehee So sometimes I lunge just see enjoy her movement. :lol:

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I love when my horse is "high". I find that I have very good rides when he is hot as hell because he doesn't get crazy, he doesn't run away, he is just very sensitive and I can get him quite expressive.
If in a super scary situation he will bolt but because he's also sensitive I can usually keep him in check with a bit of a pulley rein.
He is the right kind of hot for me I guess. I don't like how some horses are hot, but I like how mine is type thing. I definitely wouldn't throw just anyone up there, he's not a deadhead, but I am never scared of that horse.

·
Registered
780 Posts
^ Somewhat related, my trainer says that the best kind of rides are the ones that if you make one wrong move you could die, but if you can stay on, it'll be the best ride ever.

Anyways, my girl is the kind of horse that you could pull out of the pasture after a month and then just hop on with a halter and go riding. I'm so fortunate to have her as my first horse. I can do almost anything with her and not have to worry. We haven't really run into any training problems either. We have a great trainer who works with us. Our personalities seem to go together really well. I can handle hot or cold horses and eneven enjoy those rides, but there is nothing like riding my girl.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.