The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Looks to me like a typical ranch/roping saddle. A rather inexpensive one but seems to be in OK condition. The stirrups are the wrong ones for the saddle.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
As long as it fits you and your horse, it should work for a while.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
My first reining saddle was my roping saddle. It is hard to cue the horse correctly in one as they sit you in a different way but they can work.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about this one? It's by a company called Blue Ridge Saddle Company. It says it's a barrel/reining saddle. Are they generally the same thing? I thought barrel saddles were a lot lighter and smaller than other western saddles.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
i like them, but I dont like barrel saddles. The horn is too pointy. Thats why I barrel race in my circle y , lol.

The thing i dont like about the one you just posted is that it sits you back a bit more, like...umm.... im not sure how to explain

but they are both really pretty and nice looking!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Barrel/reining? 0.o I thought a barrel saddle was very different from a reining saddle.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
... again, an inexpensive brand but an OK one. I don't see it as a barrel saddle at all but it could be used for a reining saddle.

A barrel saddle will have a deeper seat (higher cantle) and more of a horn to hold on to around the barrels.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I got outbid on that one, so how about this one?
Auctiva Image Hosting

It won't let me post the pictures here, sorry. It's about $400 on ebay including shipping, which worries me since it's brand new. I also don't really like the color since the horse I'll be using it on is a blue roan and I think a darker saddle would look better on her. But does this look like a good quality saddle?

edit: Here's a picture from the ebay ad:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What about these? They're all on ebay. I'm worried about the quality since they're only $400 brand new.

The bidding on this one is at $200 right now, but I've never heard of the brand and from what little information I can find about it, it has very mixed reviews. Some say it's great, some say it's horrible.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
No it look cheap. Have you ever gone to a sporting goods store and picked up a cheap football or basketball. The ones that are made to look real but have plastic strings and you can tell it is not real leather?? That is what this saddle looks like to me. It just looks like cheap leather if it is leather at all.

A good well made saddle is going to cost you more then $400 and anything new in that price range is not going to be good quality. Now you MIGHT be able to get a good used saddle for that if you are lucky.

Of all your track the 2 things I feel you should not skimp on is your saddle and your saddle pad. A good saddle will last for years. Probably as long as you will have horses.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Out of any of them, the Herford Tex Tan is the better one. I don't like any of the others. Do you know if they will fit your horse?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
This one might be too big and I do not know what the reserve is but this is the type of saddle you need to be looking at. Even at the buy it now price it is not bad. Although this is NOT a reining saddle it is more of a cutting saddle and the shipping is well way too high.
Dale Chavez 17" Reining Saddle - MINT condition!!!!!!! - eBay (item 270537513466 end time Mar-04-10 06:54:44 PST)

Now this is the saddle I would big on if I was looking. Although before I did I was ask to see the makers mark. If it is what they are clamming this is a very very nice saddle and well work the price.

CLEBURNE CUSTOM REINING/PLEASURE TYPE SADDLE 16" - eBay (item 280471830966 end time Mar-10-10 09:55:44 PST)

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Out of any of them, the Herford Tex Tan is the better one. I don't like any of the others. Do you know if they will fit your horse?
I'm not sure what size my horse needs. She's a quarter horse, so I'm assuming a saddle with full quarter horse bars is what I need. She's only 3 so she's got a bit of growing to do. I have a synthetic western saddle that I'll use on her until I can get a nice one. I'm just trying to look around and see what's good and what's not right now. My horse is 1500 miles away with a trainer so there's no rush. If I could have gotten that one that was at $200 I bid on, I would have held onto it and if it didn't fit her I would have sold it, but I didn't win so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, and I'm looking for a 15" or 15-1/2" saddle and am not looking to spend more than $500 including shipping.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
You are going to have a hard time finding a nice reining saddle for that. Since you are not in a hurry I would continue saving and get one down the road when you have some more money.

Non of those saddles you listed where worth what they where asking and if they did not work you would have a hard time getting your money back when you tried to sell it. A good reining saddle will hold its value.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.