The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey! So i've been wondering what level rider i am for a while now, as i am not 100% sure and need an opinion, heres a little thing on what i can do:

-I do w/t/c & Jumping, I have a very solid w/t but my canter needs a little work.
I jump up to 2ft (Possibly a little higher) and have jumped higher at a hunter pace. When jumping i can easily take a refusal, messed up distance, popping the jump, etc etc. My jumping needs a little help, but thats about it.
I can ride through bucks, spooks, and bolts with ease, but have never experienced a rear.
At the moment i ride 2 green horses, who are still newer to jumping. I can hop on any horse and be very comfortable, I do not own nor lease a horse at the moment, but i use to lease one. I go to two separate barns, and go every week i go to both of them. During the summer i help out at the barn for the camp. I can easily tack up English and do proper grooming, etc but i cannot tie a western girth/cinch, as i have some trouble with that. Thank youo so much!

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
The board gets this type of question regularly and the fair answer is always, somewhere between a beginner and an expert, and there's no way to tell from this distance.

The fact that you list your accomplishments is indicative of a greener rider. The more experienced a rider, the more they are (or should be) interested in training, in improving their understanding of horses in general and the horse under them in particular. An experienced rider will strive to accomplish a better feel, a more relaxed and listening partner, and a little better communication, with every ride. They want the horse to learn something new, even if it is something very small, every ride.

A real rider also is keenly interested in learning about horse care and management. You can look very good in the saddle but if you have no idea how, what, and when to feed, how to manage a pasture, parasite control, the signs of lameness or pain, saddle fit, how to treat wounds, and all the rest of it, you are not a horsewoman yet.

What about groundwork? Do you know how to teach a horse to lunge? To ground drive? To load in a trailer? Can you drive a trailer? Can you mend a fence? It's a long, even an endless list, and they all bear on how good a horsewoman you want to be.

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
When I die, be it today or 25 years from now, I'll have never done more than dip my toe into the world of riding. Maybe people cease to be a beginner when they realize they will always be a beginner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts