The Horse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, so I posted once before and called it "Can this Fear be Overcome?" I really thought I wouldn't be able to continue with lessons because I was TERRIFIED of horses since I had a bad fall. But I just had my 5th lesson today. The trainer isn't rushing me. We're still on the ground. Today I did something I didn't think I'd be able to do. I went in the pen and called Hammer, put the harness on him myself, and walked him out of the pen to the arena. From there, Ron, the trainer, had me get Hammer into a walk, trot and cantor all with body language and audible sounds. I didn't do it perfectly, but I was very confident today - and it's my 5th lesson! Anyway, I just wanted to share that I find it comforting that I'm learning to control the horse on the ground before even thinking about riding him. I hope everyone else who is new to horses and taking lessons is enjoying it as much as me! :D

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That is great that you are overcoming your fears and learning how to control the horse on the ground. Gaining confidence on the ground will transfer to the saddle when you begin riding. Ron sounds like a great teacher.

·
Premium Member
12,561 Posts
Good news! Fear in humans can be overcome the same as it is in horses - one step at a time. Keep on going!

·
Registered
171 Posts
There's nothing like that high you get from a good lesson! Good work, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying horses again! :)

Reactions: AZRJ and dlady

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am so happy for you! I know how you feel about that on the ground work. After my lessons on just leading my horse, I took my grandson to a leadline class. I was still a little unsure of it so I had a friend to the leadline part. Then the second show I did the leadline part, and the feeling was really great. I had no fear of my horse. Even in the leadline trail class, we had to walk inbetween two bales of hay! My horse did a dead stop and lowered her head to eat that hay. But knowing and not fearing how to correct that was a "wow" moment. My grandson actually took first place in that class!

Keep up with those lessons, they do work. I have moved my horse back to my place and have a new trainer that comes to me. The good part is she is more into the western riding (my other trainer was more English), and this new trainer is working with both my horse and myself, not just me as the other trainer was doing. So we are working on the horse moving all parts of her body from the ground, now we are working on that in the saddle. But our back ups are looking really good now, she is dropping her head when backing up. And our last lesson I did the sitting trot while on a lunge line. The first time I got her into a trot, she took maybe 2 steps and I was pulling her back to a stop. LOL I was scared to death. But by the end of the lesson I was going around the complete circle at the trot.

So I am happy you are getting there also. Can't wait til I can trot off line though and steer at the same time. LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am so happy for you! I know how you feel about that on the ground work. After my lessons on just leading my horse, I took my grandson to a leadline class. I was still a little unsure of it so I had a friend to the leadline part. Then the second show I did the leadline part, and the feeling was really great. I had no fear of my horse. Even in the leadline trail class, we had to walk inbetween two bales of hay! My horse did a dead stop and lowered her head to eat that hay. But knowing and not fearing how to correct that was a "wow" moment. My grandson actually took first place in that class!

Keep up with those lessons, they do work. I have moved my horse back to my place and have a new trainer that comes to me. The good part is she is more into the western riding (my other trainer was more English), and this new trainer is working with both my horse and myself, not just me as the other trainer was doing. So we are working on the horse moving all parts of her body from the ground, now we are working on that in the saddle. But our back ups are looking really good now, she is dropping her head when backing up. And our last lesson I did the sitting trot while on a lunge line. The first time I got her into a trot, she took maybe 2 steps and I was pulling her back to a stop. LOL I was scared to death. But by the end of the lesson I was going around the complete circle at the trot.

So I am happy you are getting there also. Can't wait til I can trot off line though and steer at the same time. LOL

Thanks for your post. Hey, I was just watching some videos on Youtube last night and came across this one with Buck and horse that was dropping its head when it was backing up. I thought you might like it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts