The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’m trying to find out what to buy to stay warm during winter (at least for a minimum of -15C since I don’t think anybody ride at -30C).

I currently own a down jacket with Gore-Tex waterproof which I use everyday like for hiking, skiing or just take a walk.
However, I’m trying to find which kind of jacket to buy of what material?

Down jacket is very good to stay warm, but I feel for riding horse it would be too hard or annoying to wash and may keep horse smell inside more easily with feather.

Any ideas?
Are synthetic jacket good enough? I had a synthetic winter jacket in the past and I always needed to wear a fleece jacket under because it wasn’t keeping me warm.

thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
I ride in those temps. More slowly, but we go.

I like layers of wool. I have a pair of wool socks who's toes are battery heated. If I'm going to be out for many hours I carry extra "D" cell batteries in my saddle pockets. The rechargeable don't last long enough.

I have fleece lined tapaderos and extra wide stirrups, to accommodate wide winter boots, for winter use if needed.

My down coat has a coyote ruff that really cuts the wind and keeps my face from getting frostbite.

I just don't find other clothing to work as well.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hi,

I’m trying to find out what to buy to stay warm during winter (at least for a minimum of -15C since I don’t think anybody ride at -30C).

I currently own a down jacket with Gore-Tex waterproof which I use everyday like for hiking, skiing or just take a walk.
However, I’m trying to find which kind of jacket to buy of what material?

Down jacket is very good to stay warm, but I feel for riding horse it would be too hard or annoying to wash and may keep horse smell inside more easily with feather.

Any ideas?
Are synthetic jacket good enough? I had a synthetic winter jacket in the past and I always needed to wear a fleece jacket under because it wasn’t keeping me warm.

thank you
I'm with @boots. Wool. Wool, fur. Down can be tricky to wash but they make special soaps for it, and as long as you dry it properly it should be ok. A good baselayer (synthetics do work ok for this) too - no cotton.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I like layers of merino wool but never have experienced temps anywhere near as cold as you have (we may get to 0 °C or just below on some of the coldest, coldest days in our winter but its usually around 5 °C). I usually wear Icebreaker, and in winter will have on an Icebreaker base layer (singlet), mid layer (long sleeve top), thicker mid layer (long sleeve sweater), and outer layer (jacket). Then if it is wet, I put a waterproof shell jacket on top of all that.

·
Super Moderator
10,033 Posts
I just remembered lined breeches. A friend wears them under chaps, and even insulated coveralls when it's subzero, and loves them. She loaned me a pair once when we had a potentially long day looking for truant heifers. They were great. The breeches, not the naughty heifers.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Cashmere-wool bland underneath a ski jacket works really well for very cold weather. I rode at -14C and got too hot so it needs to be even colder than that (depending on the wind). Winter riding boots with cashmere socks, wool tights under lined breeches. All of those things together keep you very warm.

I was thinking of getting a shearling jacket (lamb leather with fur attached) but I get a feeling that it would be too difficult to wash. I have a fancy shearling coat which I wore in Russia during winter and it was the only thing that worked. The rest of the group wore large feather puffers and got very cold.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I'm with everyone else, wool is my go-to.
If it does get wet it'll still stay warm. My deviation would be silk long johns and wild rags/neckerchief.

I buy some stuff from army surplus stores. Wool gloves(I double the wool gloves), shawl neck sweaters. I have bought wool coats from army surplus but the last one I got came from a thrift store, big, heavy wool double breasted pea coat. The collar is so big if I stand it up it goes way over the tops of my ears.

What coat I wear depends on the exact weather and what I am doing. If I need waterproof, I'll layer wool and cover with my waterproof Mountain Horse coat. If it's really cold, no moisture, my pea coat. Not horribly cold and I'm going to be fairly active my Columbia omni heat coat.

Going back to gloves the Alyeska rag wool gloves with a mitten flap work really well. If it's in the negative teens or more Farenheit I'll put the little heat pouches in them too.
A couple years ago I noticed I'm getting arthritis in my hands so I bought BOT gloves. They dont keep your hands warm but they are a nice thin underlayer with other warm gloves.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
I have a coat from NorthFace, and I LOVE it! I also wear Muck Boots. They are amazing and go down to -40. They are water proof, and durable. I also wear Terra 3M Thinsulate gloves. They are yellow deer skin, they are amazing gloves! I still have a pair form three years ago.

Super warm and flexible. I also really love my insulated jeans! They are amazing, and keep me warm all day.

Reactions: ranchrobin

·
Registered
2 Posts
cashmere/wool + fleece lined breeches + and layers like most folks have mentioned :) I also have a really warm down vest that I wear as well. (I live at around 9k feet elevation for context :oops:⛄)

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have a long jacket made specifically for riding. It is synthetic, but incredibly warm. In fact, I wear it on a daily basis out and about because it is warm and easier to clean than my wool jackets. The fact that it is long has made a big difference for me, as I find the extra length keeps the heat in better than short jackets.

Winter breeches are also a must for me. My current favorite is by horze and has a high waist. I also like kerrits for their winter breeches. I've found that I do not need to wear leggings under these breeches, unless it is very very cold.
Another thing that has made a big difference is having something to cover my ears while riding. I have this: Thermal Therapy Liner Cap | DRC8518 | Greenhawk

Cashmere/wool fabrics are the warmest for layering. I also know someone who has sworn by alpaca leggings, which is apparently similar to cashmere and super warm. I haven't had a chance to try those out myself yet.

Warm, waterproof gloves are a must for me, and I also like the ones AbbySmith has mentioned.

Insulated boots are also a must, but I'm personally not a fan of most winter riding boots and find them too bulky for my liking. I do like the short insulated paddocks by mountain horse though and would love to get my hands on a pair of the insulated Ariat tall boots.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone.

Is there a difference between winter jackets from equestrian companies and the one we find in outdoor store?

Also, I’m looking online on equestrians stores for a warm winter jacket or 3 in 1 and 95% of the jackets are for women and the ones for men are not warm or look cheap.

For boots, I found the Snowy River from Mountainhorse that look warm and good quality. I just need to find a place to try them before buying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Nic727 honestly there isn't a difference if you're buying tops/jackets from a regular store vs Equestrian store -- the biggest thing for me is if I'm able to layer with items and its comfortable to ride in. I'd look at LLBean or NorthFace/Patagonia for warm jackets. As for bottoms (like breeches) and riding/paddock boots, I would recommend an equestrian store.

Ariat is a solid brand for boots, I have a couple pairs of their waterproof tall riding boots and their paddock boots. Really good quality.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I also don't think there is a difference in terms of warmth. The main difference is in the features to adapt the jacket for riding such as two-way zippers. No worries if you can't find one by an equestrian company though since there are plenty of very warm jackets out there by other companies that work great for riding. There are also heated jackets out there. I think Kents carries them. I've never personally tried one, but I know someone who has one for the barn and he loves his!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you. I saw that equestrian coats/jackets have flaps to have a better protection when sit on the saddle. Whatever, I guess it's not mandatory lol.

For winter riding gloves, there are so much choice, but what I know is that I like my current "Thinsulate" gloves for everyday life, but they don't have grip for riding. I'm looking online for thinsulate riding gloves, but there isn't much choices. Lot of gloves are using fleece or polartec fleece, but I already had fleece gloves in the past and they weren't that warm compared to thinsulate insulation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you. I saw that equestrian coats/jackets have flaps to have a better protection when sit on the saddle. Whatever, I guess it's not mandatory lol.

For winter riding gloves, there are so much choice, but what I know is that I like my current "Thinsulate" gloves for everyday life, but they don't have grip for riding. I'm looking online for thinsulate riding gloves, but there isn't much choices. Lot of gloves are using fleece or polartec fleece, but I already had fleece gloves in the past and they weren't that warm compared to thinsulate insulation.
I ride in some nasty weather and can honestly tell you, if I don't have a wool layer on, a good hat to keep in the heat and a silk scarf for my neck, forget being warm. This warmth carries on right down to my hands! I have very low blood pressure and therefore, not the greatest blood circulation and pretty much no body fat, so staying warm is a challenge.

I use Merino wool for socks and actually use them all year long. But when it comes to being warm, I actually prefer rag wool sweaters. It seems to keep me warmer and with just about any kind of layer underneath, I am the perfect temperature.

As for gloves and grip, well, they don't seem to be likely combination. I will say this though, I found a super warm pair of gloves in the ice fishing aisle! They are actually warm and do have some grip. A wee bit bulky, but unless I'm riding my young horses in training, (which is thankfully usually at the indoor arena this time of year,) these gloves are nearly perfect! (Need an elastic cuff like my chore gloves.) I believe the name of them are Ice Armor by Clam. I'm not sure if they will be durable enough to last more than one season, but for the price ($30,) and as much as I am outside, they would be worth replacing next fall! For chores, I wear an insulated leather glove made with "Hydra-hide" with Thinsulate. As the name suggests, they are waterproof and I don't have to worry about the rain and snow making my gloves wet inside.

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Once you have worn in a coat tailored for riding you will understand the difference and not want to ride without.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Once you have worn in a coat tailored for riding you will understand the difference and not want to ride without.
Explain me that plz! I know most coats/jackets are having some flaps or back zipper to have better sitting position in the saddle, but it's mostly for women models and men coats/jackets are just looking "normal".

I made a small list of winter riding coats and winter riding gloves and would love your advice if you ever use them in the past. Very hard to choose what to buy because most equestrian companies are from Europe and for them, winter is around 0 °C, but in Canada it's bellow -10 °C. Don't want something they advertise as "warm", but being not warm enough for winter here.

Coats/Jackets :
Not a lot of choice for equestrian winter coats for men. I could also just choose a random coat since men equestrian gears don't have much different features. Also, what's going on about the arm pockets? People really use that?

Gloves :

·
Registered
2 Posts
Explain me that plz! I know most coats/jackets are having some flaps or back zipper to have better sitting position in the saddle, but it's mostly for women models and men coats/jackets are just looking "normal".

I made a small list of winter riding coats and winter riding gloves and would love your advice if you ever use them in the past. Very hard to choose what to buy because most equestrian companies are from Europe and for them, winter is around 0 °C, but in Canada it's bellow -10 °C. Don't want something they advertise as "warm", but being not warm enough for winter here.

Coats/Jackets :
Not a lot of choice for equestrian winter coats for men. I could also just choose a random coat since men equestrian gears don't have much different features. Also, what's going on about the arm pockets? People really use that?

Gloves :
As for gloves, your best bet is going to be the Ariat Tek Grip. They are actually "insulated." The other 2 are just lined. Coming from North Dakota, I know what winter riding is and if it's not insulated, you'll be cold. Also, any jacket that you buy will seriously be enough if you layer in wool! Promise!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts