The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some experience training. I helped my trainer with my horse that I recently sold (no fault of her own). I don’t have a whole ton of experience but I have people who can help me. I’m looking into getting a pony to train and will ask the people I know for help if I need it, or I will ask on this forum. So I was just wondering, what pony breed in general would be the best for me to start with? I want nothing over 12.3 hands because for me at this point, the smaller the better. I’m wanting to train the basics, such as lunging, desensitizing, maybe halter training if they don’t have that, how to be good for the farrier, how to tie, how to take the bit nicely, all that kind of stuff. Can you help? Thanks!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I recommend Icelandics. They are intelligent, gentle, non spooky, and very affectionate. Plus, they are incredibly versatile, willing, athletic, and smooth. The average height is 14 hands, though I have seen a handful that have been under 13 hands tall. They are a very strong breed for their size and tend to be quite forwards, though slower ones can be found.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recommend Icelandics. They are intelligent, gentle, non spooky, and very affectionate. Plus, they are incredibly versatile, willing, athletic, and smooth. The average height is 14 hands, though I have seen a handful that have been under 13 hands tall. They are a very strong breed for their size and tend to be quite forwards, though slower ones can be found.
Thank you! Are they quite cheap as well? I’m not looking to spend a fortune. Also, I haven’t seen many Icelandic ponies for sale in Alberta where I live so I’m not sure how many there are here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thank you! Are they quite cheap as well? I’m not looking to spend a fortune. Also, I haven’t seen many Icelandic ponies for sale in Alberta where I live so I’m not sure how many there are here.
It depends, though they tend to be on the pricier side because they are typically 5 gaited, versatile, and have great temperaments. It pays off in the long run, though, because they eat little, rarely need vet care, are very easy keepers, and are often ridden into their 30s (oldest was 56 & died because stopped eating after owner passed). Icelandics are not super common in Canada, though, but can be found. This link has a farm list. http://www.cihf.ca/membership.php

·
Registered
159 Posts
I really like the Pony of the Americas (POA). They're essentially a small Quarter Horse and most of them have the QH's laid-back attitude. To be fully registered, they have to have Appaloosa-like markings but many of them are born without the markings and can be bought more cheaply than the ones with "color".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts