The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-to-me horse is getting a barefoot trim next week, and I wanted to know what I can do to prepare her feet and make the job easier for the farrier.

Right now the conditions around here are wet and very muddy, and they have been for a couple months. I've been treating her for thrush for a couple weeks with some success. It's very hard to beat when she goes right back into the mud after I clean her feet.

Should I scrub them out with soapy water, rinse, and dry with a towel? Leave them just picked and brushed out without washing or rinsing? Make them spotless? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
When my horse's feet are muddy I will hose them off and give a quick dry with a towel. If I remember, I'll pick them out just before the appointment, but thats something my farrier doesn't seem to care too much about.

If you have a dry spot to keep her for a while you can hose off beforehand and keep her there to dry off until the farrier comes.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
22,890 Posts
If you have a clean, pref dry area for the trimmer to work, great. You could also clean the mud from feet then too. If you don't & the horse will be standing in mud for the job, don't stress - there's no point in cleaning them.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Wipe off mud, pick out feet and have a hardstanding to work on. My friend who has a feathered cob also puts support bandages up over the feather to keep them out the way.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Interesting thread! I never thought to pick out my horse's feet for a farrier D:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to have some home made hot chocolate ready for her. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you have a horse with a really long tail, I usually try to wrap that out of the way as well. If I get it in my face just picking feet, then it has to be annoying when you are there a much longer time.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm so grateful I got a barefoot trimmer to come out at all (they're rare in France), I'm prepared to do just about anything to make her happy! If she wants to see me dance on my head, I just might do it.

Reactions: dlady and VickiRose
1 - 13 of 13 Posts