The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am training a new horse and am having trouble getting him to trot. He always wants to go straight into a canter even though when I do ask him to canter i use different cues then the cues i use to ask him to trot. Any ideas on how I can get him to just trot.....

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Does he ever trot when you lunge him, or when he is out in pasture?

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Does he ever trot when you ask him for, say, a canter, or a walk?

You could start to teach him to trot by verbal commands. Like as you lunge him, train him to trot when you say 'trot'. Then try saying 'trot' or getting someone else to, as you ride him. Make sense?

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he is in the beggining of barrel training where he hasn't even seen more than one barrel. But I cant continue his training without him being able o trot. And since I trained him he goes by verbil commands. I trained the horse a few months ago then the girl brought him back and now he doesn't trot. He troted when he left me the first time, just not now.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its almost like she didnt like how he trots the speed of a barrel horse so she pulled on his mouth so hard when he troted to slow him down but, little does she know you have to give a little pressure then release then keep doing that until ho slows down. but I thnk he has learned that when he trots his mouth gets jurked on.I know I am very light handed so I'm not hurting him.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
Well, that does suck, but sometimes that's just the way it goes.

·
Banned
1,575 Posts
You could try putting someone else on him and you lunge him at a trot, as they are on him. Or get someone to lunge him while you ride him. But don't touch his mouth at all. Just sit still, and get him used to trotting with a rider.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i will give that a try tommorrow but today I am riding him with just one of those circle things around his neck for me to control him by, but nothing will be in his mouth.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
It sounds like he has a ton of holes in his training. A well trained horse won't forget what it's been taught - he may get rusty but the buttons should still be there.

You need to first rule out pain. Is he going from walk to canter because there is something physically wrong with him or is it because he has only ever been run.

You need to use your seat rather than verbal commands. Slowing your post is how you want to slow the trot down. It's hard but it can be done. Instead of pulling on the reins and releasing I would suggest serpentines and circles. I would walk him into the trot. What I mean is I would go into the circle and the serpentine and then pump into a trot. if he tries to speed up do a turn. Keep him in a small space for now. You can slowly make your area larger but keep the directional changes and smaller area until you have him trotting without trying to break into a canter. Start at the walk. Go slow and take your time.

Good luck.

·
Banned
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was just on the phone with the owner and she sent me a video of her riding and she sits there and whips the horse when it trots cause she is telling it to trot but wants it to trot faster..... i geuss I'm gonna have too buy the horse back cause that just not right

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.