The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new to horses and want to know what size/height horse I should ride. I know theres more to it than just height and weight but it is the most basic. I'm 5'2 and weigh 43kg. Also, should one ride a larger horse or a smaller one if one is afraid to fall off due to poor balance? Thank you so much in advance!

·
Banned
904 Posts
I’m about the same height as you and ride anything between 14hh and 17hh. Look for something short and stocky, if they have a wider barrel it can help with balance. You could ride something smaller than 14 hh if it’s strong enough

·
Super Moderator
14,704 Posts
I would think most graduate from smaller to larger as their capabilities increase.
Larger horses are often more powerful feeling with a larger and longer stride gives the impression of more power and more power can be intimidating.
There is nothing wrong with starting a riding education on smaller animals that don't overwhelm the senses of how high off the ground you are.
Larger horses also have longer limbs which if you are on a taller horse just covers more ground than a smaller horse or pony...again can be intimidating to feel that power and speed.

Balance comes from time spent in the saddle and understanding how to use your body and where to place your body in align as the animal moves...
It is not something learned in a minute but over time and comes easier to some than others...
Do not compare your progress to anyone else as that is something many do and are discouraged...
You are a individual, you learn as a individual and in your own way... work with a instructor who finds where you excel and draws that from you in positive reinforcement and encouragement...
Nothing worth having I've found is handed to you but earned....riding is just another of those earned rewards.
🐴...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts