The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet just left me a message while I was in the barn. She says the blood tests came back in and everything is fine except her ecg level is off. So she wants to come back out and do an ultrasound to see what the problem is.

I'm not sure when it will be but I'm so confused. I just cut Annalie's hay down to a flake a day and have been bringing her in everyday so she doesn't have as much turnout. I've also been riding her for about an hour 4 times a week and 20 minute lunging when I don't ride. She is NOT lossing weight. In fact she is getting bigger and her belly is dropping. She still has not come into heat. I'm so worried about her foundering that I feel like taking her off hay period and limiting her turnout. Even though I'm not even giving her as much as her previous owner did who also had her on turnout and had a round bale out for her horses most of the time.

Luckily neither of the girls have had problems due to getting into the grain room.

Here are some pics, some from previous posts.
This pic is from yesterday.

These pics are from a couple weeks ago

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not entirely sure she said ECG, lol. She has an accent that I can barely understand so I'm pretty sure she said ECG hormone and then something about sulfate....

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
ECG indicates pregnancy per google. She certainly looks pregnant!

What are you hoping for...pregnant or not??

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm almost afraid if she is what the heck it's going to be. Her colt was 10 months old, I believe, when she was brought to me. From what I read they can breed at 10 months old. BUT the people I got her from have other mares that are not pregnant.... There was a gelding at the place I was boarding her at that was gelded recently and got out of his stall a few times.... Ugh. I don't know.

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
Equine Chorionic Gonadotrophin (eCG, previously known as PMSG - Pregnant Mare Serum Gonadotrophin).

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
If the vet said her ECG level is off, that means her heart beat is irregular. Which could mean she has a baby in there. But it's a little strange, because if she is pregnant the first person that should be able to tell is a vet.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The test she did had nothing to do with her heartbeat.... It was a blood draw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
She kind of looks preggo to me. I can't really tell with the pics but her teats look a little swollen unless she just naturally has larger teats.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea... that's what I was reading on google, lol. I left her a message telling her to call me when she knows when can come so I can schedule that day off work. When she palpated her I was sure she wasn't pregnant, now I'm back to the is she or isn't she? I hate it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Yea... that's what I was reading on google, lol. I left her a message telling her to call me when she knows when can come so I can schedule that day off work. When she palpated her I was sure she wasn't pregnant, now I'm back to the is she or isn't she? I hate it.

It's better for her to be pregnant than have something seriously wrong with her.

Good luck, I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Oh I know that. It was just eliminating that suspicion. I was thinking she was just an EXTREMELY easy keeper and I had been feeding her too much. This is my first time having my horses at home. I'm the type of person who wants to make sure they are doing everything in the best interest of everyone, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Evidently a lot of foals are missed on palpatation because of timing and/or position. That mare *looks* pregnant. Especially in the pic with her belly only on one side. How long have you had her? If she is pregnant, then reducing her hay/turnout is not a good idea.

saranna

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Have her do an ultrasound to be sure. Hope it works out. :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vet is coming out in a couple weeks. She had to "squeeze" me in. I ordered a Wee Foal test kit just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yesterday the vet called me and said that they had mixed up the test results with another Haflinger who was indeed pregnant. They were checking her blood levels because she had previously lost a foal. They didn't realize the mistake until they noticed that mare was NOT PREGNANT.

Annalie is NOT PREGNANT! There is nothing wrong with her blood results. The vet told me to go ahead an put her on her diet. Out of curiosity I did the Wee Foal and it came back negative too.

I'm really relieved because I didn't really want a foal that I had no idea of who the sire could be. The choices were really what was bothering me. It was either her own colt, a HaflingerXQH who was a conformational disaster, or a recently gelded ugly little sorrel grade Quarterish type horse. If I ever bred any of my horses I would want to make sure there was a considerable market for the foal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts