The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this bit when I inherited my Paso's and am in dire need of a new one BUT I have no idea what type of bit it is. Please help by checking out the attached photo. There's also a curb chain that's not attached in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
That looks like some kind of spade bit. The copper rollers on the bars are unique. Just be sure to use very light hands.

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
The spoon is the part that touches the top of your horse's mount and the longer the shaft leading to the spoon, the more severe. The OP's doesn't seem to have a broken mouth piece (joined mouth).

·
Super Moderator
26,564 Posts

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
The OP's doesn't seem to have a broken mouth piece (joined mouth).
you're right!

lemme see what else i can find:

google paso fino elegante :)

ETA: interestingly, this type of bit is marketed as the "first bit a horse should have" - - they claim it is very mild...​

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Excellent - great research!

·
Super Moderator
26,564 Posts
is it a correction bit?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
i don't know. I know that they recommend for a green horse to use it in combination with a bosal...there weren't any vids on it though...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I looked for almost 45mins on the net last night...lol...I couldn't find anything on that bit! GO KICKSHAW!!! :wink:

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
google paso fino elegante :)

ETA: interestingly, this type of bit is marketed as the "first bit a horse should have" - - they claim it is very mild...

I choked when I read that it's supposed to be a mild bit that you start horses in... WHAT?!?!
Umm, try more like it's a high port (severe) bit with a tall purchase and long shanks... what happened to starting a horse in a snaffle??

ETA - kickshaw, I do realize that you were getting to the same point as me, and not saying yourself that it is a mild bit :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.