The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Time Do you feed your horses?

8K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Arabian Beauty 
My horses have free choice hay 24/7 year round. They are on grass in the summer with a round bale in the field. Two round bales out with them in the winter.

I feed crushed oats and alfalfa pellets 2x a day. Between 7 and 9am and between 9 and 10pm.

My girls live outside year round only coming in for their hard feed and sometimes will be kept in if its storming, if they stay in for a storm they still have hay in front of them at all times.

As long as your horse is cooled out they are fine to eat and drink.

When the horses come off the race track after a race we let them have 3 large gulps of warm water right away then strip their equipment, hose them down, letting them have a drink from the hose, then scrape them, towel them, let them have another drink and walk them. Then let them drink again. When they are dry and cooled out they can eat. Never had any issues with them following this routine :)

I allow my competition horses to munch on hay or grass as I am walking them out after a ride. The only thing I hold back for about 20 minutes after is hard feed. I wait until they are cooled completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.