21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Clean water All day

I will free feed Hey all day start at 7.00 am

What about the grains?
I was thinking at 4.00 pm in the winter and 6 Pm in the summer.
Is 6 pm late or it should be at 5.00 pm

Should i feed grains at noon instead of 4.00?

Any advice would help. :)

·
Registered
10,187 Posts
As long as they have plenty of hay it doesn't really matter what time you give them a grain meal. If you're feeding twice a day of course you want it to be as close to 12 hours apart as you can get it but for just once a day pick when it's most convenient for you.

I feed mine at 4:00 pm and switch to 3:00 p.m. when daylight savings time is in affect so that they are always on the same schedule. It's also nothing for me to change that time when I have a day with something going on. They're happy to eat whenever it is I show up.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Sweet Feed is a grain mix with a molasses base.
Sweet Feed for Horses
It's not the very best grain supplement for your horse, but I use this as part of my horse's training. All three of my horses are apgar 5+ this winter. I have been giving them a LOT of turnout. Today, there has been a stiff wind and the wind chills makes me put on some of my warmest layers. I want my horses to have the best coat and a good layer of fat going into the coldest part of the winter. I do not increase their sweet feed intake, but I free choice as much hay as each horse wants. They are eating more calories to keep warm and keep their coats growing even more. In the way, I hardly EVER have to blanket. Still, my 4 blankets are folded up on a shelf in my grain rain, at the ready.
Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Corporal Thank you for the link.

Today I measured her wight. She is 859 LB and 15.2 hh
She is Arabian. And the ideal wight is 199 Lb or 1000 Lb She doesn't seem under wight tho.

So 859 x2% is 17.18

Should i give her this number of food or i go with her ideal wight?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We cannot help you determine ideal weight for your horse without actually seeing her. Suggested weights are ONLY guidelines because every horse is different.

Study this chart then assess your horse and see how she compares. If she has a winter coat you must use your hands more than you use your eyes. somewhere between 4 and 5 is ideal, also depending on the horse.

It is usually a safe bet to feed her as much hay as she wants and can clean up through the day and night. if she wastes hay feed her less. If she is overweight you can put her hay in a net so that it takes her longer to eat it. Whether she needs a hard feed in her diet depends on her condition and workload. Pictures of your mare would help a lot.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
She is a lovely thing! Her weight looks pretty darn good, so whatever she weighs now, consider calling it her "ideal"weight and feed her accordingly.
Thank you. :D
I think this is her ideal wight too. :wink:

It just because i read that arabian ideal wight should be 199 lb or 1000 ib
But i will see every 2 weeks her wight.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
In January, I let mine approach 6 on the scale bc January is the coldest month of the year. We can have wind chills below the actual temperatures of sometimes -20 degrees F. They will naturally drop weight in April/May bc they won't need the fat anymore. Arabian Beauty, you don't have your location in your signature. If you live in the SW your horse probably doesn't need any more weight. There are few if any chronic health problems from keeping a horse slightly underweight, but this excludes hard keepers, which some Arabians are. Hard keepers have to have extra calories if you work them, and yours looks healthy, but out of shape. Keep that in mind if you start working your horse. =D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have many animals so I do chores twice a day.
For my big horses I give them free choice hay all day every day. They also get their grain in the morning. Sometimes I have to grain them at night because I can't get out there till then.
I have one other person helps me with chores and I try to do the difficult things so they don't have to.
My minis get a controlled amount of hay and 1/2 c of grain at the same time as the big horses.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
In January, I let mine approach 6 on the scale bc January is the coldest month of the year. We can have wind chills below the actual temperatures of sometimes -20 degrees F. They will naturally drop weight in April/May bc they won't need the fat anymore. Arabian Beauty, you don't have your location in your signature. If you live in the SW your horse probably doesn't need any more weight. There are few if any chronic health problems from keeping a horse slightly underweight, but this excludes hard keepers, which some Arabians are. Hard keepers have to have extra calories if you work them, and yours looks healthy, but out of shape. Keep that in mind if you start working your horse. =D
Im from Saudi Arabia We do have winter but not as cold as everywhere else.
At night is colder than the mornings and afternoon
Morning from 7am to 9am 13, 15, 18 Than it goes from 20 and above

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I suspect summer is more of a weather issue for the horses there.
Your horse is very beautiful.

It's fairly warm here this morning, -1C, but I'm looking at temps of -25C by mid week.

We have a bunch of students at the University in town from Saudi Arabia. It's hilarious watching the boys get their first taste of a New England winter. At first they try to be tough but very quickly layer upon layer of clothing is added. I'm sure they were warned about winter but it's not something you can imagine without experiencing it. The few girls are more sensible and add layers right away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I suspect summer is more of a weather issue for the horses there.
Your horse is very beautiful.

It's fairly warm here this morning, -1C, but I'm looking at temps of -25C by mid week.

We have a bunch of students at the University in town from Saudi Arabia. It's hilarious watching the boys get their first taste of a New England winter. At first they try to be tough but very quickly layer upon layer of clothing is added. I'm sure they were warned about winter but it's not something you can imagine without experiencing it. The few girls are more sensible and add layers right away.
Thank you I think she is beautiful too. I will post more pics of her soon. ;)

Summers is like your winter.
In winter in Saudi its so nice to ride anytime of the day in summer we mostly wait tell 4 if we want to ride. Witch its not a problem for me since i get off of work at 4.30 :D

hehehe For me i travle a lot since i was young. My father loves to travel and London is a second home to us. So Im used to the cold and I Love it. :D any wether to me would be better than the humidity we have in my city. Plus I love love snow. :D

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.