The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Planning to breed my barrel mare this spring, of course after her reproduction exam. She’s had 6 foals on the ground with a previous owner. Looking to breed for another great barrel horse! With my mare, she has bad feet, thankfully I have a great farrier , but if not continuously trimmed, her front feet grow really flat. She is also a very anxious horse. I don’t mind that in the arena but she gets so anxious that if I separate horses to feed, she rather pace the fence than eat. She is also a hard keeper!! So definitely looking for lines with good feet, calm mind, and not a hard keeper! Please help and give recommendations on which lines to breed to or more specifically which stud . I want honest direction, not just “my stud would be perfect for your mare.” Thanks!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
What stud to breed your mare to largely depends on the conformational strengths and weaknesses of your mare. People may be able to give more thoughtful, educated recommendations if you provide a conformational shot of your mare.

Reactions: LilyandPistol

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes would need to see her confo shots and bloodlines to properly and accurately recommend a stud. I know TONS of good options but they could not be a good pairing with your mare.

·
Super Moderator
26,875 Posts
I'm assuming she's a barrel horse and that your sport of choice would fall under the gaming category so with that in mind I'm going to first admit that I don't know much about the lines that fall under barrels, poles, speed events etc.

I do really like the foundation lines, Rawhides Slvr Bullet is a grandfather of my ranch horse. This stud is a money earner (big time) in the reining world. Good feet, solid mind, solid build... Of course he is in TX from what this website says. Wasn't sure if you were looking for live cover or what.

I like the minds that come from the foundation lines...

rawhides-slvr-bullet.html

·
Banned
9 Posts
I ask for 4 things before recommending or suggesting a stud:

-conformation pictures
-picture or link to pedigree
-what type of prospect are you looking to get out of this mare
-how much are you willing to spend on the stud fee

I have a couple in mind, we just need to know this info...

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Have you been able to look at her previous foals in person? I would do that before considering breeding a mare with bad hooves and an anxious personality. I'd want to know that these traits were somehow developed by the mare later in life rather than genetic. If her foals have good hooves and a good temperament, then you'll know the traits are not dominant and likely to be passed on by your mare, regardless of the stud. If the traits are being passed on with different studs, then it would not be a good thing to continue passing them on.

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Hi,
Good feet tend to be made not bred. Barring some lines(I guess U want QH?) it's generally a matter of environment/lifestyle, diet, hoof care, etc. Esp with 'flat feet'.

If your horse is a 'hard keeper' I'd want to get her healthy before getting her in foal. This is another thing that's ... made not bred. Yes, even TB's! Perhaps your horse has ulcers or other gut issues, perhaps it's her diet, perhaps nutrition.

Of course there are lines & types that are more or less 'hyper', a calm mind is also largely made, by good experiences.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Hi,
Good feet tend to be made not bred. Barring some lines(I guess U want QH?) it's generally a matter of environment/lifestyle, diet, hoof care, etc. Esp with 'flat feet'.

If your horse is a 'hard keeper' I'd want to get her healthy before getting her in foal. This is another thing that's ... made not bred. Yes, even TB's! Perhaps your horse has ulcers or other gut issues, perhaps it's her diet, perhaps nutrition.

Of course there are lines & types that are more or less 'hyper', a calm mind is also largely made, by good experiences.
Respectfully, @loosie, I do believe hooves and temperament should be considered when breeding an animal. There are many TBs and QHs that have been bred with no concern for hooves, and we have many very large animals on tiny hooves. That is something you can't change with good hoof care. My large TB should not be wearing hoof boots smaller than a little Morgan or Arab would wear. It is also known that some horses pass on a difficult temperament to their offspring. There are so many horses being bred, it should be that only horses with good temperaments and excellent conformation should be bred. If a horse has hoof issues, these might stem from conformation or movement issues also.

·
Premium Member
23,881 Posts
Oh yes, I don't disagree with you in the very least gotta. As said 'barring some lines & generally' it is 'made not bred', but absolutely genetics can play a part in these things too. And if the mare has genetically bad feet, or whatever, I'd be hesitant to breed her. Tho you could take a punt, breed her to a strong hooved beast & hope the baby comes out with daddy's genes in that department.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What stud to breed your mare to largely depends on the conformational strengths and weaknesses of your mare. People may be able to give more thoughtful, educated recommendations if you provide a conformational shot of your mare.
Yes! I meant to include that! Updating

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
There are only three of her foals listed and no accomplishments though the youngest is 7 years old. I'd look for the other three and see what's what. The three listed were two different sires - one a Corona Cartel son and the other is a First Down Dash (Dash For Cash) son. It could be those three weren't campaigned; it could be they weren't conformationally sound for the job they were asked to do; it could be they didn't have suitable temperaments and drive; it could be they just didn't have the talent.

If the good stallions she was already bred to didn't produce a winner then not likely another would be different. If none of her foals were campaigned so no one knows what could have been then could be you have better odds but to me if none have anything worth mentioning then another would be no different.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts