The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

He does it mostly on the ground, while grooming and tacking up. mostly just annoying and gets me in the eye every once in a while.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
I can't get the video working, but my guy is expressive with his tail and on occasion has swatted me with his tail, but me being me have just spanked his butt with my hand and said 'quit it' and that tail stays still!

Reactions: amberly

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahh goodness, I'm no good at these things.

I have tried that and it didn't seem to make a lick of difference. As soon as i went back to grooming he'd start again, even worse. So I'd whop him again. to no avail. So, then I have tried holding on to a strand of his tail while I'm grooming or tacking up, it keeps him from doing it while I'm holding it but doesn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the double post, but now watching the video it doesn't seem as bad as it feels when I'm doing it, lol. I will note there are NO flies, whatsoever. As you can tell, the weather is cold and wet and fly season hasn't started yet. He'll do it slow like he's swishing flies but he definitely also does it in annoyance, watch when I pick up his front right foot.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
Hahaha your video is set on private!

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I can watch it. I noticed that when you started to brush him that he pinned his ears. Does he do that often?

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
It worked! It looks to me like he's being indignant......the way he has his head up and swishes is telling me that he's telling you ' I'm just putting up with you right now' ........I personally would give him a good poke n the side and make him move over when that head comes up and the tail starts swishing.....may change his 'tude' a bit:wink:

Reactions: Foxhunter

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
He does seem to put on his ****y-face, doesn't he?
Is he anticipating having to work? How is he under saddle?
A saddle fitter told a story about a horse he worked with who pitched a fit when a certain saddle was carried towards him. He was fine with other saddles. Turned out the offending saddle was a bad fit. Smart horse...he knew the saddle by sight!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Totally agree with tinyliny. I would get rid of the brush for now and just use the shedding blade--horses all love that thing stroked slowly across their coats. What's a little dust between friends?:)

He should enjoy being groomed, but while he doesn't relax into it, the swishing isn't major. At least he doesn't attack you when you approach with the brush, like my pony did! If you try to make it pleasant, it won't be long before you can use the brush again---a SOFT brush, brushing slowly and lightly at first.

·
Registered
49,340 Posts
shedding blade? I would have thought that would be the least loved of grooming tools.

In my liimited experience grooming sensitive horses, a scrubby with large, but soft "fingers" was best accepted. Least liked was the traditional curry comb and fleck brush.

interestingly enough, so many horses like this. I think it's because it doesn't pull on the hairs, like some groomers do.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Our horses like those rubber-finger things.

I have never had a very sensitive horse to groom. I'll know what to do now if one ever shows up.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Some horses just don't like to be groomed. My mini mare is that way. She's got a great work ethic and decent personality but she turns into miss attitude when I bring her over to be groomed. She doesn't particularely enjoy being scratched or rubbed either. She's a chestnut with thin, sensative skin, so I can understand, but I also don't put up with crabbiness. She doesn't flick her tail but she does pin her ears, mare glare at me, and used to try to move away/nip at the air.

What I did first, was switch my grooming tools. She HATES shedding blades, curries, stiff brushes, etc so I just let her shed out naturally and use my hands to get most of it off. I bought a face sponge for her legs and face/upper neck, and a soft dandy brush. I also have a jelly curry comb but she doesn't particularely like it either. I've found that long, slow, firm brushing strokes instead of fast, hard or light ticklish strokes appease her the best, and I only brush as much as I have to, before she works. I allow her to make her crabby faces but if she so much as moves her face towards me, tries to get away, etc, she gets a firm 'NO!' and a smack on the offending appendage. I rarely have a problem anymore and I try to associate grooming with something good as much as possible.

Have you considered tying his tail into a knot? I did that with one of our geldings who liked to swat me with his tail. It was simple, easy, and made it too short for him to lash me ;)

Reactions: michaelvanessa

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
grooming.

hiya i use a horse vacume it has a curry comb and a dandy brush.
when i groom them thay love it and there top lip comes out in a reaching gesture, i call it an elk lip.
i laugh so much as its pure extasea and it purges the sheding fur there is no mess at all it also perges the scurf as well so you have to shake out the filter.
it also permotes and tones the top line as well as you can see tricky looks good for his age.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
When a horse starts swishing his tail as you approach, or when you ride, or ask for a cue for ANYTHING, they are being disrespectful. I would ground school this horse until you wear him out. Horses are pretty predicatable. They would rather warn then kick, but if you are not #1 in this relationship, you horse will fill the void.
I would say ground school, CA Method train (loose lunging, then lunging for respect), and many sessions of hard workouts that lather him up. Then, you untack and tie him up for an hour and let him think about it. Horses that are worked enough learn to enjoy it. My lesson horses were worked over 1,000 hours/year/under saddle. I know I repeat this, but the time I put in never occurred to me until last year. They WANTED to be tacked up. They WANTED to be trailered. They WANTED to be worked. A horse, a dog, and human NEED a job in order to be sane.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Horses are not predicatable and problems begin when you forget that. I do not believe everything is solved for every horse by more ground training, exhausting a horse, then observing a horse for an hour while they think about it. A horse doesn't know why it is tied up for an hour! A horse's minds do not think like ours.

We had a horse that had such sensitive skin we could not use even the softest brush. There was no reason to make him uncomfortable by grooming him in the normal way so we used damp towels or gave him a bath.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
He does look rather "****y" as you are brushing.

He may just HATE grooming. Some horses are like that. Try to brush softer.

Or, have you ever had him checked for pain? (LIke an equine chiropractor?)

Does your saddle fit him well?

If he gets ****y when you brush his back, he may be trying to tell you that he hurts.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Why do you walk so far away when you are changing sides?

I either duck under neck, or go behind with hand on rump so horse knows what I am doing. It could be that this horse is regarding your keeping a distance as you being scared, and is trying to dominate you.

Also, tying up to where you are, with another horse loose in its pen is asking for trouble to me, the fencing doesn't look strong enough to hold if horse pulls back, and the presence of this other horse could be making this happen too, as it is trying to keep on top of other horse?

But this is ill tempered behavior, and you may be giving too much attention to horse, and not stern enough correction.

And would also try rub rag to see if that made difference and go strictly with dandy brush.

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
Frankly, If the horse was being ****y by swishing his tail every time I came near him I wouldn't be walking under his neck or letting him offer to kick me by walking close behind. Seems like a good excuse for him to act on a crappy attitude. I would walk out like she did too until the behavior was resolved.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.