The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. There are a few complications with this case that make it sensitive.

There is a horse in our pasture. She's roughly ten or so. We (I) recently discovered that she's a halter horse. I don't have any experience with halter horses but it would appear, based on my limited research, that they are built to be very stocky/meaty.

Well, the mare in our pasture is essentially falling apart. I think her front feet are pigeon-toed but she waddles with them when she walks. It has been a struggle to keep her sound.

When the farrier was out she could hardly support herself on three legs while he did her feet.

She's so sore it is actually painful to watch her move.

We've been giving her bute to help with the pain and that's limbered her up a bit but long term bute wouldn't be good.

I hear she's built weird too.

The vet and the farrier have told us that the best thing to do would be to put her down. The farrier wasn't as polite as the vet and he told us to send her to the meat auction or put her in my dad's load off at his slaughterhouse.

Only the thing is that she's NOT our horse. She belongs to the family down the road. Ever since the vet ruled she could not be ridden until Spring (this was September) they have not come to visit her. The father feeds at night, but the girl whose horse she is hasn't come to see her.

They're trying to sell her but anyone who knows anything about horses wouldn't buy her and those who don't know about horses have always brought their trainer out or the trainer's vet or both.

So what do we do?

Here's what our thoughts are right now.

- The horse is not ours.
- The horse IS on our property
- We have been paying the vet bills for the horse ever since September
- We have paid for a chiropractor to come out and see her
- We don't want to keep paying for a horse that does not belong to us (they're supposed to pay us back for the bills)
- The horse is in obvious pain
- The bute is eventually going to stop working (she'll become immune)

We mentioned what the vet/farrier said to the owners of this horse and they said they didn't think they could knowingly send this horse to slaughter or have my dad shoot her and they wouldn't be able to afford the vet bill to have the vet out to put her down.

So it would appear that we're in a pickle.

She's not ours so we can't really make any decisions for her.
Her owners are aware of the issues with her but are unwilling/unable to do anything about them.

What would you do in this situation?

It would be best for the animal to be put down (assuming the vet is correct) but her owners, understandably, don't want to do that.

She's the sorrel. Please excuse Sonny's presence in some of these pictures. He's her buddy.

I know she's not all set up but there're just a few pictures of her. Do you see anything physically wrong with her? Conformation-wise? Medically?

It's how she always stands. She literally doesn't move much at all when she's in the pasture.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
she actually isnt that badly built of a horse. what a shame. I like her...

as far as what to do with her. there isnt much you can do. Offer to buy them from her, and then put her down. if they refuse, tell them that you no longer want her on your property and they need to move her.

its a tough situation.

are you keeping track of the bills that they havent paid? If its a substantial amount, you can take them to court/put a lean on the horse and try to get them to sign her over to you, or pay up the cash and move her elsewhere.

if she is that uncomfortable, she needs to be put down while she still has dignity.

good luck and hopefully you can come to a solution.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
If they can't afford a vet to put her down, how will they pay you for a few months' worth of past vet bills? If they can't afford a vet, why not let your Dad take care of it-if he's willing? Does someone have a back hoe? At least she would be out of pain. This is so unfair to the horse-she definitely looks uncomfortable. IF they ever get another horse, they really need to do the PPE, so they have a chance of getting something sound. Did they buy her in September? Did the girl ever ride her?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
If they can't afford to put her down, how are they going to pay you for the costs already owed?

Before I spent another cent on her, I would tell them to pay up and move her or sign her over. More than likely they will sign her over and you will be out your money, but then you could end her misery.

I know you can't tell from pics whether a horse is in pain or not but she looks like she is standing fine. Did the vet say why she is lame or what is causing her pain/discomfort?
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: Sharpie and loosie

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did they buy her in September? Did the girl ever ride her?
They bought her a year ago, actually. She's been on our property since December 2012. The girl is afraid of her and has ridden her in 4H but I guess the horse runs her into fences and whatnot because she doesn't respect her.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
Boy your story makes me FUME! Some people!!:evil: Sounds like you're doing a lot for the poor horse, but it's not enough & those negligent, irrresponsible, uncaring owners should be held liable!

The question of what they can afford & their responsibility is the biggest thing IMO. If they're obviously irresponsible & uncaring, tell them to pay up or sign the horse over to you so you can do the humane thing - if the horse isn't going to be cared for adequately to relieve her suffering, if she can't be sold or given to someone who will give her appropriate treatment to at least attempt rehab(not knowing what's wrong, who knows if it's treatable), then she's best put down.

Well, the mare in our pasture is essentially falling apart. I think her front feet are pigeon-toed but she waddles with them when she walks. It has been a struggle to keep her sound.
She doesn't look pigeon toed at all. Agree that she doesn't look badly built either, except that excessively sloping croup, which may or may not be a problem, or just her build.

What did the chiro have to say? Was there any diagnosis from the vet? How about more... constructive comments from the farrier? Do you think it's a body issue or hoof issue as to her being so sore? Why were the owners told not to ride until Spring?

- The horse IS on our property
- We have been paying the vet bills for the horse ever since September
- We have paid for a chiropractor to come out and see her
- We don't want to keep paying for a horse that does not belong to us (they're supposed to pay us back for the bills)
- The horse is in obvious pain
- The bute is eventually going to stop working (she'll become immune)
I don't know about the laws in your parts, but here, if the horse lives on your property, you are legally responsible for it's welfare. Sounds like you have been going above & beyond to do this, but it's obviously not enough & you may be liable if the horse is allowed to remain suffering.

BTW, so far as I know, you don't get 'immune'(or desensitised) to anti-inflammatories, but they are mostly palliative in effect, so don't treat the problem, which can get worse so the bute is no longer effective. Also anti-inflams are known to cause gut damage & other health issues when used long term, so agree that bute is not an adequate treatment.

We mentioned what the vet/farrier said to the owners of this horse and they said they didn't think they could knowingly send this horse to slaughter or have my dad shoot her and they wouldn't be able to afford the vet bill to have the vet out to put her down.
:evil::evil: So they can't 'knowingly' allow her to be killed, but they can knowingly leave her to suffer and allow you to pay the bills!!:evil::evil: But seriously, perhaps the 'knowingly' is the key - you could take it as their permission to do the right thing by the horse without putting them on the spot about it....

You may also want to speak to your local animal welfare &/or police about the laws & whether they can/would hold the owners accountable. From what I hear about some animal welfare organisations, you may want to do this anonymously before you let them know the specifics.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Honestly, she doesn't look to be in that bad of shape to me.

Have you considered telling them they need to move the horse somewhere else?

Maybe then, they'll either move her, sell her, or give her away.

Anyway, before putting the horse down, maybe get a second opinion from another vet?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know you can't tell from pics whether a horse is in pain or not but she looks like she is standing fine. Did the vet say why she is lame or what is causing her pain/discomfort?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not sure. It happened after they got out one night during feeding (the other family was feeding) and she ran into a barb wire fence and got cut on her front left knee. That's when she became lame the last time. That was in August.

She's gone through cycles of soundness throughout her life - our farrier is familiar with her sire/dam and the breeder.

I know I didn't get any video (no smartphone) but she's very stiff and creaky when she moves.

We've been getting vet visits and whatnot and are trying to treat her issue, but there's not much to do, I guess it healed weird and thus the unsoundness.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honestly, she doesn't look to be in that bad of shape to me.

Have you considered telling them they need to move the horse somewhere else?

Maybe then, they'll either move her, sell her, or give her away.

Anyway, before putting the horse down, maybe get a second opinion from another vet?
Due to other reasons unrelated to her health, we have told them that they will have to move her off our property if they forget to feed them again. The father who feeds evenings in exchange for free board has forgotten once or twice to feed at night and with winter upon us and a rescue horse we're rehabing, the horses can't afford to spend a night unfed whereas they could have in summer when there was lots of grass.

I'll see about having another vet out to look at her.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If they refuse to either care for her properly and pay back what they owe and/or sign her over, tell them they must move her. If they refuse or waffle, walk her down to her owner's house and tie her to their porch. This approach is probably not very 'polite', but I have little use for anyone who not only ignores the suffering of animals or children but takes advantage of others' kindness.

Do not call another vet out to see her. If she does not belong to you, by law, the vet should not provide any care or service as you have no authority (unless you do, in writing, and haven't mentioned it) to allow it. You could also be sued by the owners if they were so inclined for doing anything to/for the horse not specifically authorized, or allowing anything to be done while in the full knowledge the animal is not your property. You also have zero legal recourse for your expenses unless you have a contract signed in writing by them.

·
Super Moderator
22,861 Posts
If they refuse to either care for her properly and pay back what they owe and/or sign her over, tell them they must move her. .... anyone who not only ignores the suffering of animals or children but takes advantage of others' kindness.
Sad for the horse if she doesn't get looked after & I couldn't personally just 'wash my hands' of the situation without doing what I could to change her situation. As per your eg above Sharpie, it would be like delivering a child back into a known negligent or abusive environment. I would at very least, tell these people in no uncertain terms what I thought of them. Politeness be bu**ered by this point.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Loosie, I feel much the same, but working with animals and owners as I do, I am constantly reminding myself that I cannot care more about their animals than they do. To do so is to end up miserable, depressed, hopeless and too poor to care for my own, as well utterly useless to help the next animal and family that might actually let me help them. Compassion fatigue and emotional burnout are not pretty, but too easy to fall into when dealing with innocent creatures and not so innocent humans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts