The Horse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

So my stables is two stories high and there's a slope (not too steep) to get the horses down.
I was wondering, if a horse gets colic, would it be safe to lead the horse down? There's not too much space to walk the horses around in upper story.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to see a photo of a two story horse barn. Never have seen such a thing.
Yes, leading a colicky horse should help it.
But would it be safe to lead the horses down from the second story? :)
I'll try to send a picture tomorrow. The first time I heard about it, I was quite shocked too!

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Agree with greenhaven. If the horse can walk it can walk, it's not a matter of safety.

If you have a horse that cannot walk or is significantly lame it won't be safe but you may need to if you need to trailer them to the vet for ex and then you can set up something to make it safer.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Subbing for a pic. I googled images, but couldn't find anything like this. I know where I grew up, it wasn't unusual to have a two or three storey barn (the third level was always for hay only), but these barns were built into the side of a hill and the upper level didn't have a ramp to go down, just walk out at the top of the hill.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Of course, a ramp can be made of dirt, gravel, etc. as well. We often referred to landscaped "slopes" for access to buildings or structures as ramps.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Ah gotchya ;)

Still, it may come out at the top of the hill, then the horse may need to walk down the hill to access to good walking ground/ a ring. Shrug.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know what the OP'S setup is but for those curious, I believe this is the ramp at Clinton Park Stables in New York. I'm not sure if it is still open as I know some of them have closed, but the stalls are above and the arena is to the right of the ramp, if I recall (not my picture, by the way).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with greenhaven. If the horse can walk it can walk, it's not a matter of safety.

If you have a horse that cannot walk or is significantly lame it won't be safe but you may need to if you need to trailer them to the vet for ex and then you can set up something to make it safer.
I'm just concerned if it would be safe because what if, for instance, the horse trips while walking because its in pain? But I guess if the horse is really in pain, I won't have a choice other than walking it around in the corridor :D

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I don't know what the OP'S setup is but for those curious, I believe this is the ramp at Clinton Park Stables in New York. I'm not sure if it is still open as I know some of them have closed, but the stalls are above and the arena is to the right of the ramp, if I recall (not my picture, by the way).

I believe that stables has closed? It did have an interesting history.
There is a web page that it's used for carriage horses now.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
a hill is good for a colicky horse. you can walk the horse up and down the hill, to get the gut to move , stand up hill , then stand down hill, i have done this with a gas colic and it helped move the gas so the horse could expel the gas. i would stop and listen to the gut, if standing down hill made more noise we stood downhill more often.
Another thing I have done for a colicky horse, load into a trailer, seems to make them poop.

That is an interesting photo. that ramp looks a bit steep, maybe it the angle of the photo. Thank you for sharing .

·
Registered
142 Posts
I believe that stables has closed? It did have an interesting history.
There is a web page that it's used for carriage horses now.
I believe it has, as I mentioned, but I couldn't recall if it had closed entirely or if it was now used exclusively for carriage horses.

The ramp is/was really steep. I remember watching people lead horses up and down when I visited as a kid and thinking that there was no way I'd do that. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I'm just concerned if it would be safe because what if, for instance, the horse trips while walking because its in pain? But I guess if the horse is really in pain, I won't have a choice other than walking it around in the corridor :D
Exactly. You do what you have to do.

That said, I don't see the horse tripping if you go slow and are careful.

If you see a problem or say a lameness coming on see if you can move them to the first story. I'd be more concerned about taking a lame horse to the vet or something.

Unless the horse is thrashing around many vets say to leave them be as opposed to walking them. It has ups and downs, but do remember it is NOT a requirement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts