The Horse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it is time that Junior gets a hair cut. It has been two years and it is pretty nasty looking. -.- So, what should happen with his mane? When I cut it two years ago, it was about 3(?) inches long, and I thought it looks awesome on him! I am thinking of doing this again, since he has such a thin neck and the long mane makes it look even thinner.

His mane now:

Picture 412.jpg

Picture 413.jpg

I just dont like it long I guess. It makes his neck look ugly. Plus it is a pain in the @ss to braid. So, what should I do with his mane? Post pictures of what you think would look best. :) I might be able to get my hands on a pair of clippers, but will probably just do it with scissors.

Also...

There is a show on the 24th that we are hoping to take June to. It is just a little schooling show, but I want to braid anyways. I might do a plait in his tail, but not sure yet. Probably just do button braids in his mane. His mane will be cut before the show. :)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Trust me don't cut it short! I got a little "scissor" happy with my guy, he has hair texture and color just like yours, and I ended up cutting it off! Before I liked to keep it as "natural" as possible. Instead of cutting straight across I would cut up toward the mane. That way it will look natural and it takes it off slowly without it looking like a hack job.

I think just by taking off the dead ends of his hair will make it look 100% better.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i would flip in over to the other side of his neck & then cut it a bit longer than you would like it. then flip it back & pull =]

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trust me, it looks GOOD in those pictures. -.- It gets really ratty and such when you dont take care of it daily. I like your idea gypsy (I also agree with you White Foot. I like the look of his mane now when I braid it in little braids, BUT... doing button braids is really hard, but I will deal. Here are pictures of when I cut it two years ago:

l_21084b93d23e791ef31bc85334234156.jpg

l_cbdd6fa818d802120d02f80b89d2628b.jpg
This was about 4-6 months of it growing out and I like it at this length.

Any tips on how to pull his mane. I know how to pull a mane, but he hates it and im not so good at it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts