The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site, first post. My wife & I inherited my father-in-law's western saddles upon his death. A couple of the saddles I believe could be considered vintage. Our knowledge of saddles in general is very limited. Also, we do not know the history of these particular saddles. We are interested in possibly selling these saddles but really don't know where to start, their worth, etc. The area in which we live does not have good sources for this kind of information. I joined this site in hopes of getting some advice or info that might get us started. Here is the list of saddles that we have;

N. Porter, Arizona (Possibly Vintage) (Serial # Found)
MacPherson Maker, Los Angles, CA. (Possibly Vintage) (Serial # Found)
McClellan (Possibly Vintage, Maybe US Army WWI?) (Serial # Not Readable)

There is also a saddle with no maker known. The only ID I could find was a "00" or "OO" with a serial number on the latigo. (See attachments)

All these saddles are in fairly good condition. If my measurements are correct the seat sizes are 15" except for the McClellan which is marked 12".

I have done some online research of these saddles with limited success. I also have photos of all these saddles.

Are these saddles even worth trying to sell? Any suggestions as to which direction to head?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I would check eBay, there is a way to search for completed auctions and the Porter and Macpherson are custom saddle makers whose names I recognize. You will find McClellans on there too.

The last saddle looks to be a factory made saddle (vs. custom made) but it is still a nice saddle that someone would want to buy and ride in. Probably not very expensive, but a nice functional saddle. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
9,628 Posts
I sold an N Porter last winter. It took finding the right buyer because, as with many older saddles, it was quite narrow. We breed wider horses now.

Checking the internet and learning how to measure a western saddle will help if you try to sell them yourself.

The Ebay suggestion is a good one

·
Super Moderator
13,629 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

If all the saddles have leather looking like that, they are indeed worth some money just as saddle.
The "name" of manufacturer known ones and serial numbers give you easier access to value since you can look up specific information and compare details found.
If what I think I saw under that saddle are "taps", aka covered stirrups tapaderos those alone could be worth hundreds of dollars depending upon who made them, size and condition.
Cheap new ones go for around $80 a pair FYI....quality, older for much more.

The McClellan saddle may be worth more than anything else you have in your possession again, depending upon condition and manufacturer.
Historical reenactment organizations of cavalry riders would be where I would look for value and worth of it.
These reenactment try to make all equipment as original as possible so a real McClellan saddle....wow!!

Do indeed do your research and till you get facts don't sell off anything to quickly.
What you have in your possession is also family history if sold you will never have access to again..
Sometimes sentimental value is worth more than the $ it brings in the door. :|
:runninghorse2:...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts